81-year-old retired scientist Ken Jewers, aka KJ, an artist so far steeped in mystery, is set to release his debut album of new big band songs ‘It’s All About Love’, 50 years since his father first penned the lyrics.

The album of 10 original big band songs feature lyrics by his father Jim, a docker from the East End of London who died in 1968.

“My dad worked in the Royal Group of docks and often got an idea for a lyric while travelling to work,” said KJ.

“He would jot it down as soon as he got home and sometimes would jump out of bed in the middle of the night when he had something really catchy.

“Some of the songs were written when beat groups were all the rage.

“My dad would say ‘I’ve just written this lyric - what do you think of it?’ And I would take it away and compose some music for it.

“When I went to work overseas, dad would send me his lyrics by post. Quite a number of songs, 8 in fact, from the album ‘It’s All About Love’ were written during this time in Bangkok, thousands of miles away. We must have written 30-40 songs between us during that time.”

KJ had put music to his dad's lyrics since 1962. But it wasn't until he teamed up with son Kevin in 2003, who wrote two more lyrics and got the industry contacts to finally sit up and take note, that he arranged and recorded them to produce the album, ‘It’s All About Love’.

The result is brassy big band that could have stepped straight out of the 1950’s.

“I always felt my dad wanted me to make this album as part of his memory,” said KJ. “He felt so much for this music.”

The album ‘It's All About Love’ will be on general release on September 9, 2013 on IJK Recordings, distributed by RTD/Universal, available on CD or digital download.