The first action of the new year in the South London & Kent Pool Alliance came in the second round of the Founders Cup and Silver Salver first round, and there were a few whitewashes littering the fixtures. 


The first of these took place in the Founders Cup as, top of the Premier Division, Hotshots played bottom of Division Two, The Con Men and the gulf in quality really showed with Hotshots taking the first eight frames. 


To be fair to The Con Men, it is their first season in the SLKPA, and Hotshots are stalwarts of the league, so this was always going to be a cup baptism of fire for them. 


Obviously, all the Hotshots were unbeaten, but Ryan Francis, Richard Chapman and Joe Kelly all won two frames. 


There was another whitewash in a match between teams from the top and bottom division, with second in the Premier, Bull Tavern travelling to fourth in the second division, Farmhouse. 


Bull Tavern turned out to be too much for Farmhouse, winning the first eight frames, with Tony Gear, Jamie White and Joe Kane all winning two frames along the way. 


Also, in the Founders Cup there were two, 8-1 score lines, with Premier Division Bellegrove beating Downham Tavern Terrors from the second division and Bell Ya Later going down to Terry’s Allstars. 


As expected Allstars got off to a winning start, taking the opening two frames however, Jade Holmes wasn’t going to let them have it all their own way, as she beat Stacy Redman in frame three. 


Unfortunately for Bell Ya Later that would be their only frame, with Allstars taking the next six frames. 


Phil O’Kane, Paul Cook and Richie Mitchell all won both their frames in the process. 


Bellegrove Flyers also saw cup success, beating Eltham Terrace Rack Pack. 


These two teams are currently fifth and sixth in Division One with fourteen points between them and the first set reflected this. 


The first two frames were shared, but Richard Marsh and Paul Thomas won the next two frames to give Flyers a two frame advantage, before Rack Pack pulled one back. 


The second set was very different, with Flyers winning the first three frames, for a, 6-2 lead. 


Andy Mounger prevented the set whitewash; however, Jay Arnold won the last frame of the set to put Flyers on the hill. 


Alan Boltwood won the opening frame of the final set to give Flyers a comprehensive, 8-3 triumph. 


Mounger was Rack Pack’s player of the night, winning both of his frames, and two of his team’s three frames. 


Flyers had a couple more unbeaten players, with Jason Brunton, Richard Marsh and Paul Thomas all scoring a brace. 


Division One’s Eltham Terrace Nuthouse also bowed out of the Founders Cup, after losing 8-4 to Sharks of the Premier Division. 


This fixture could also have been named The Biggs Battle, as Nuthouse’s Trevor travelled to his son Alex’s team, Sharks. 


They didn’t face each other but Alex’s Sharks took an early, 3-0 lead, with Alex winning the second frame, after his father had lost the first, so initial bragging rights to the youngster. 


Leighton Aston prevented the set whitewash, before Sharks took frame five for a, 4-1 first set lead. 


That soon became, 5-1 but Jon Syta pulled one back for Nuthouse and Trevor Biggs redeemed himself to pull it back to, 5-3. 


However, Ade Lawal and Alex Biggs, with his second frame of the night put Sharks on the hill going into the final set. 


Scott Reeves delayed the inevitable, winning frame eleven, before Vu Son won the match in the next frame. 


Alex Biggs wasn’t the only unbeaten player for Sharks, as he was joined by Eno Idiong and Lawal on two frame wins. 


There was another match played between Premier Division and Division Two teams however, their current form is very different, as Rugrats are second bottom in the top division and New Eltham New Boys are top of the second division. 


The first two sets of this tie couldn’t have been more different, with Rugrats whitewashing the first and New Boys the second, making it all square going into the final set. 


The first two frames of the third set were shared, keeping the match close despite the nine places between the teams across two divisions. 


Dylan Suggars and Jimmy Maloney won the next two frames to give the Premier Division side the, 8-6 victory without the need for the final frame. 


The final tie of the round was the closest, between New Boys sister side, New Eltham New Stars of the Premier Division and Duke of Northumberland from Division One. 


The top division side just edged it by 8 frames to 7 to secure a place in the quarter-final on 16 February. 


All the winners from the Founders Cup go into the next round but all the losers will join the winners from the matches below in the second round of the Silver Salver on 23 January. 


As in the Founders Cup there were a couple of whitewashes in the Silver Salver and there was a big surprise with the one between the two Premier Division teams, Pickwick and Falconwood Club. 


At present there are two places and four points between the two teams, but Falconwood never really turned up and Pickwick punished their mistakes.


Paul Slater and Paul Gafa both won two frames, but man of the match was Ian Chapman whose two frame wins included a reverse dish in frame seven. 


The other whitewash came as Fox & Hounds, struggling at the bottom of Division One hosted Premier Division’s, The Cocked Hats. 


Fox haven’t recorded a win all season and Cocked Hats increased their woes with the, 8-0 score line. 


There was also a big win for first division Bears, as they travelled to Division Two’s Bexleyheath Working Men’s Club. 


The first two frames were shared, but that was as close as this game got, with Bears winning the next seven frames for an, 8-1 triumph. 


Gary Heath, Paul Cobbold and Shane Burnett all won both their frames. 


The final game of the round was much closer however, it was a topsy-turvy match between Bellegrove A of the Premier Division and Division Two’s Academicals, which saw the lower division side surprisingly whitewash the first set. 


This sparked Bellegrove A into action and they returned the favour in the second set, making it, five all going into the final set. 


Jack Taylor put Bellegrove into the lead for the first time in the match, but Greg Phillimore tied the match once more. 


Alfie Southby and Peter Moult ensured the Premier Division side’s victory by 8 frames to 6. 


Good luck to all teams in the next round, next week back to league action. 


For more information on the SLKPA, including league tables visit our website at or contact our Secretary, Paul Gafa on 07443 456662 or with any queries.


The league is always looking at potential sponsors and any interested parties can also contact Paul Gafa.