Crystal Palace shot-stopper Wayne Hennessey said his side troubled league leaders Manchester City in a pulsating 0-0 New Year’s Eve draw at Selhurst Park.

Despite a late penalty miss by midfielder Luka Milivojevic in remaining minutes, the Eagles managed to end the visitors’ record-breaking win streak to end 2017.

Players on both teams suffered significant injuries, critical chances were missed, and cards were brandished as Roy Hodgson's men grabbed a point on a wet south London afternoon.

Hennessey told News Shopper: “We wanted to punish them as much as we possibly could, and with our front three they are on fire. So I’d like to think that we caused them problems as well.

“We definitely didn’t want to be that sort of team who stayed inside their own half and defend for their lives. We definitely were not all about that. We wanted to attack as well, cause them some threats, and we did.

“Especially with our three as well. [Christian] Benteke is so good in the air, Wilf [Zaha], and Andros [Townsend], they are so good with the ball, so yeah we caused them problems.”

Winger Wilfried Zaha managed to beat two City players before being fouled in the penalty area, leading to referee Jonathan Moss to point to the spot.

It was not to be for Palace on the day, as opposite number Ederson denied Milivojevic from 12 yards out.

Andros Townsend failed to hit the target earlier on after a driven cross by Zaha, arguably two of the team’s best chances all game.

Asked whether Milivojevic said anything in the dressing room after the game, Hennessey added: “No, he didn’t have to say anything. We all know that it was a fantastic save and we have seen him put the ball into the back of the net so many times.

“So we keep him up now, keep up his spirits, and I’m sure that he will be fighting against Southampton.”

The 30-year-old Wales international declared himself ‘fully fit’ following a back injury, meaning he is now in contention for a first-team spot with Wayne Hennessey.

Meanwhile skipper Scott Dann appeared to suffer what appeared to be a significant injury 15 minutes into the game after a foul on Kevin De Bruyne outside the box.

Substitute Jason Puncheon was only on the pitch for 15 minutes himself before going off on a stretcher himself and forcing Hodgson into replacing him with Chung-yong Lee.

Crystal Palace are now a point ahead of West Ham United, who are in the relegation zone, heading into their south coast clash with Southampton at St Mary’s Stadium on January 2.