A final tally of three tries to nil was telling between Blackheath and Rosslyn Park as the hosts came from a four-point deficit at the break to claim victory in a hard-fought physical contest.

Park had taken the early initiative. With heavy rain falling throughout Park adjusted to the conditions and the out-of-hand kicking of full-back Henry Robinson and fly-half Greg Lound kept Blackheath firmly in their own territory, the latter on target at goal with three penalties for a 9-0 lead.

With the wind against them, Blackheath’s kicking in the first period was less effective, and on a day when ball was difficult to control their line-out struggled too, but their set-scrum, with Neale Patrick and Josh Peters in the engine room, they had the upper hand throughout, and on 35 minutes, the hosts finally broke the stranglehold.

A drive towards the goal-line saw ball lost forward, but as Jake Lloyd gathered a misdirected clearance, Mark Cooke’s chip towards the corner was fumbled and Nick Foster was able to ground for a try on his home debut to reduce the deficit to 9-5 at the interval.

Now with the elements assisting their kicking, allied to a reduced penalty count, the re-start saw a much improved Blackheath and on 51 minutes the Club took the lead.

As Stef Liebenberg opted for a tap-penalty, ruck ball was set up in front of the Park uprights, and with play moved wide, Jake Lloyd broke through a tackle to score, Cooke adding the conversion from a difficult angle.

Lound and Elliot Clements-Hill exchanged penalties, but it was the Club right-wing’s second try, a beauty as ball from Blackheath’s dominant scrum was moved inside, and Lloyd found a fine line, as well as outstanding pace, to out-sprint the cover and cross in the corner.

Lound struck a fifth penalty to bring Park within five points, but the visitors only real attacking opportunity of the second period floundered on a moment of indiscipline, and Clements-Hill’s final goal put Blackheath out of range.

Next Saturday Blackheath venture north along the M11 to Grantchester Road for their meeting with Cambridge before returning to Well Hall the following week for the visit of Birmingham Moseley.