After a slow start, Welling United proved too strong for Poole Town and deserved their second win of the season.

Florent Bojaj and Elijah Phipps made their Wings debuts and both impressed as Welling followed up their two hard earned away points with the crucial home win.

On Friday, Welling announced that Dillon Barnes' loan period had been extended and the Colchester United goalkeeper made a great save in the opening minutes. Ollie Harfield crossed and Jez Bedford rose unopposed but his header towards the bottom corner was turned away brilliantly.

Connor Dymond crossed for Joe Healy who brought the ball down on his chest before spinning but volleying over.

Healy then spread the play out to Christian Nanetti who cut in and fired in a shot that Nick Hutchings claimed well.

Warren Bentley went down in the area under pressure from Jack Parkinson in the penalty area but there was no real conviction in Poole's appeal and the referee showed no interest.

Jeffrey Monakana created an opening for Bojaj but he was off target with his effort.

Harfield fired in a shot for Poole that took a half block and looped over the bar then Nanetti fired well over for Welling from a difficult angle.

Steve Devlin hit a free kick horribly wide after a pretty poor refereeing decision before the Magpies came agonisingly close to going ahead. Jack Dickson went on a thrilling run down the right hand wing before firing a shot across goal that came out off the inside off the post.

Harry Phipps was well wide with a thirty yard volley before Bojaj showed great skill on the touchline to send Monakana away but although his pull back caused havoc in the box, nobody was able to supply the finish.

Just before the break Bojaj beat the offside trap but shot wide of the post.

Early in the second period, Dymond sent Eli Phipps away only to be brought down inches outside the area by Carl Pettefer. Healy stepped up to take the free kick but blasted well over.

Bojaj then sent Eli Phipps away but he shot wide but he was not to be denied for long.

Dickson had a strange scoop shot caught by Barnes before Phipps put Welling ahead.

Connor Dymond, impressive throughout, won a tackle and sent Monakana away. He, in turn, found Phipps and the Colchester loanee skipped across the penalty area before firing in a shot that was too powerful for Hutchings to keep out.

He almost made it two with a first time shot that Hutchings held at the second attempt before Welling doubled their lead. Monakana was again the creator with a fine cross that Healy met with a header that flew into the back of the net.

Two substitutes combined to try and reduce the arrears but Ollie Balmer made a mess of Tony Lee's cross.

Late on, Dickson shot wide of the near post then Lewis Lindsay had a header cleared off the line by Parkinson as Welling's clean sheet came under threat.

It wasn't to be for Poole, though, despite Jake Smeeton rattling the bar in the final minute.

Welling United: Barnes, Dymond, Jefford, Phipps H, Coyle, Parkinson, Monakana, Healy, Bojaj (Durojaiye 85), Phipps E (Macklin 71), Nanetti (Pattisson 81). Subs not used: Jebb, Francis.