DARTFORD’S long unbeaten run finally came to an end on Saturday with a reverse at Staines.

It is a cliché but Darts’ fine run since early January had to end some time and sadly the defeat at Staines Town was a fairish reflection of fact.

Staines are a bogey side as far as Dartford are concerned and on at least three occasions they have had the benefit of over the line or not decisions. On Saturday the home side’s goals did reach the back of the net.

Wheatsheaf Park is a magnificent ground – on one side.

The other three sides back onto back gardens, so creating an atmosphere is difficult.

Inevitably it defeated the travelling fans.

The game itself got off to a flying start for Staines Town, who were a goal up after just four minutes.

A quick break ended with skipper Andre Scarlett side footing a right-side cross past Andrew Young.

Encouraged, the home side continued to press and it took Darts some time to get into the game.

When they did, they didn’t really test the tall Louis Wells in the home goal, although a cross from the left found Lee Burns in space.

Last season he would have buried it but this term he couldn’t get a goal in a one-ticket raffle.

Four minutes before the interval Staines engineered a second goal when Elliott Onochie cut into the box and set up Scott Taylor who added the vital touch.

Earlier the battling Elliot Bradbrook, a leader by example, had to limp off to be replaced by Danny Harris 10 minutes before the break.

The second half followed the same overall pattern as the opening 45 minutes, highlighted by two outstanding saves from Young which prevented certain goals.

Added to this was an equally vital stop in the first half.

But for the gentle giant, it could have been five, which would have been a travesty of justice because Staines aren’t that hot.

Follow us on Twitter @NewsShopperSprt

Dartford: Young, Jones, Bonner, Bruce, Goodacre, Champion, Hayes (Noble 53), Burns, Sheringham, Main, (Burchell 74), Bradbrook (Harris 35). Subs not used: White, Burgess. Att: 402.