After being unfortunate not to have beaten league leaders Woking one week earlier, Welling United had to dig deep to beat basement club Weston-super-Mare.

Sanchez Ming was drafted in on loan from Dulwich Hamlet on a one month loan to cover Welling’s injury crisis and made his first appearance for the club for nearly ten years.

David Ijaha tried his luck from distance after Brendan Kiernan had intercepted a pass out from George Nurse.

Nurse had Weston’s first effort with a shot well off target before Welling went for a route one attack. Dan Wilks launched a long clearance, Thierry Audel flicked it on, and Bradley Goldberg got on the end of it but fired over.

Ijaha had another effort that Luke Purnell beat out unconvincingly before making a good save from Goldberg who had been found by Caden Genovesi.

Purnell made another good save from Kiernan soon after following good work from Gavin McCallum on the wing.

Continuing their pressure Kiernan found Goldberg but he fired well over before Weston came close to scoring against the run of player when Matt Bower’s header from Nurse’s free kick came back off the far post.

McCallum’s free kick almost created another opening just before half time but it was flicked on just out of Audel’s reach.

After the break the desire of Welling’s Anthony Acheampong and Weston’s Gethyn Hill to get to a cross ended in them both going down and needing extensive treatment before being able to continue.

Jamie Lucas was sent away by a good through ball by Aaron Parsons but Wilks got down well to save his low shot across the face of goal.

Jason Pope tried his luck from distance but Wilks was again equal to it before Acheampong did well to block from Hill before Welling were again on the attack. Kiernan’s shot was blocked as far as Goldberg and his effort brought another good save out of Purnell.

Goldberg had another shot beaten out before Pope had another opportunity created by Hill but could not muster the power to concern Wilks.

Hill hit a snap-shot wide before Nurse cut in but fired just over.

Six minutes remained when the deadlock was broken. Kiernan broke into the penalty area and fell over Parsons’ challenge. Goldberg took the responsibility and held his nerve to fire the spot-kick powerfully into the bottom corner.

McCallum had a shot wide for Welling before Hill headed over for Weston.

Despite five additional minutes being played, Welling managed the remaining minutes in relative comfort and made the long journey home with three important points in the bag.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Genovesi, Ijaha, Acheampong, Hill, Audel, McCallum (Anau 87), Newton, Goldberg, Mendy (Newton 76). Subs not used: Agyemang.