Dan Wilks’ penalty save and Danny Mills’ goal were sufficient to continue Welling United’s good run with victory at Hungerford Town.

Steve King, Welling’s manager, was forced to change his team following the recall of Jack Barham by parent club Barnet, and injury to Thierry Audel.

They started brightly and had their first goal attempt in just the second minute when Gavin McCallum fired over after creating the chance for himself.

Then Brendan Kiernan worked himself into a good position but had his shot from a tight angle saved when a pull back might have been a more fruitful option.

There was then a highly contentious moment. A long ball over the top sent Danilo Orsi-Dadomo away. He looked well offside but was allowed to continue. Jordan Gibbons did well to get back but when the two of them went shoulder to shoulder, Gibbons was deemed to have fouled him. A penalty was awarded and Gibbons cautioned.

However the hosts didn’t take full advantage. Orsi-Dadomo took the penalty himself but Wilks guessed correctly and went the right way to make the save.

Rhys Kavanagh then worked his way through and Wilks again came to Welling’s rescue with another good save.

Mills had a couple of half chances before half-time. First he was unable to get over a Kiernan corner and he headed over. Then he collected McCallum’s cross but his shot on the spin flew wide.

After the interval Arnaud Mendy had a shot deflected wide off his own player Soon after, the same Welling player hit a shot from twenty yards that flew just past the post with goalkeeper Michael Luyambula a spectator.

Alfy Whittingham was unable to get a near post effort on target when he got on the end of a low cross by Kavanagh.

Kiernan then had an ambitious shot saved before Welling scored. Kiernan sent Bradley Goldberg away and he fired across the face of goal for Mills to fire home off the underside of the bar.

Kavanagh got in a good position but stabbed wide with the outside of his boot.

Again Kiernan combined with Mills but the latter’s header was deflected wide. From the resulting corner Anthony Acheampong fired over.

Josh Martin headed well over from Darren Foxley’s corner then Foxley shot wildly after substitute Conor Lynch created the opening.

That was Hungerford’s last chance and Welling might have scored again in injury time but Kiernan’s shot flew across the face of goal.

Victory took Welling to within one point of third place and eight points clear of eighth place ahead of their last ten games.

Welling United: Wilks, Gibbons, Braham-Barrett, Ijaha, Acheampong, Orlu, Kiernan, Mendy (Anau 76), Goldberg (Hill 90), Mills, McCallum. Subs not used: Agyemang, Oyebanjo.