Once again Welling United fell short away from home as their visit to Dulwich Hamlet ended in defeat.

Dipo Akinyemi had the first opportunity when bursting through but he snatched at his shot and it rolled wide.

Then Welling had a great chance. Danny Mills used his strength and skill to hold play up before sending Brendan Kiernan through. Welling’s leading scorer looked to add to his ten goals this season but Preston Edwards was out quickly to make the save.

That proved costly as Dulwich went ahead in their next attack. Dan Thompson sent Nathan Green away. His first touch was superb and opened it up for him to finish emphatically,

Craig Braham-Barrett crossed but Gavin McCallum headed over as Welling enjoyed plenty of possession without creating clear cut openings.

In a rare Dulwich attack Nyren Clunis looked to pick out Akinyemi but good defensive work kept him out at the expense of a corner. Although the delivery was half cleared it fell kindly for Dominic Vose to try his luck but his powerful drive fizzed just over.

After the break, Welling continued to probe and Mills had a shot deflected wide by Michael Chambers.

Akinyemi then had a chance for Dulwich but although his twenty yard effort was hit sweetly, it was too straight and Dan Wilks saved well.

Soon after came a massive controversial moment. Jack Barham got in behind the Dulwich defence and Edwards came out and grabbed it outside his penalty area. When the referee reached for his pocket it came as a surprise that only a yellow card was brandished. The free kick came to nothing and Dulwich escaped.

Anthony Cook fired a free kick over for Dulwich before a long kick by Edwards sent Green in behind but his dangerous low cross was blocked.

Wilks then kept Welling in the game with an astonishing save. Thompson’s cross was headed out by Jordan Gibbons but only as far as Akinyemi. His powerful drive looked destined for the top corner but Wilks dived full length to turn it over,

Barham had a header saved by Edwards before Kiernan put the on-loan striker in for another shot but Chambers got across to block. It came out to Braham-Barrett on the wing and his cross had to be tipped over by Edwards.

While Welling strove for an equaliser they left themselves at risk on the break and they were caught with four minutes remaining. Michael Onovwigun picked out Decarrey Sheriff and Wilks was unable to keep out his low shot.

Two minutes later Welling pulled one back when Bradley Goldberg got free. Although Edwards did well to block it came out, hit Chambers, and flew into the net.

Although five additional minutes were played Welling were unable to create another opening and fell to another defeat sway from their Park View Road fortress.

Welling United: Wilks, Gibbons, Braham-Barrett, Mendy, Audel, Acheampong, Kiernan, Ijaha, Mills, Agyemang (Barham 45), McCallum (Goldberg 76). Subs not used: Hill.