Cray Wanderers continued their unbeaten start to 2019 as the Isthmian South-East league leaders picked up a hard fought point at Faversham Town.  The point puts Cray Wanderers 11 points clear at the top and the Wands had to come back from a goal down after Danny Walder had given Faversham the lead in the 16th minute from the penalty spot.  Cray through deserved to draw level and did so twenty minutes later when Mitchell Nelson headed in his first goal of the season from a Karl Dent corner.

On a murky and soggy afternoon Cray began the game in positive fashion but fell behind on 16 minutes when a ball in to the box from the right by Ashley Miller was adjudged to have been handled inside the area by Jay Leader and a penalty kick was given.  From the spot, Danny Walder confidently stroked the home side ahead.

Cray fought back and almost levelled when Freddie Parker was denied by a block on the line by Danny Divine and then a Karl Dent free kick was spilled by keeper Will Godmon and Ryan Huckle deflected the ball towards goal and Godmon had to scoop the ball behind off the line.

The Wands had deserved to be on level terms and on 36 minutes a right wing corner kick from Dent was played to the far post where Nelson with a free header powered into the bottom right corner for his first goal of the season.  Before the break Nelson came close with another header this time cleared off the line by Matt Bourne.

The second half saw Dave Cook test Nick Blue with a snap shot for Faversham Town but Cray were knocking on the door and came close to going in front when Jerome Federico's near post cross was deflected off Huckle to Bradley Pritchard who from six yards fired against the crossbar. Following up Tom Phipp saw a shot pushed away by Godmon.

With ten minutes to go Cray almost went in front when Sean Roberts ball into the area found Parker down the right and as Godmon came out for the ball, took the ball round the keeper but from a tight angle squeezed the ball towards goal and came back off the left post and out to Daniel Uchechi whose effort was blocked.

In the closing stages both sides could have won the game.  Firstly for Cray a fine ball across from Uchechi down the left found Parker who from eight yards saw his shot which was arrowing into the bottom left corner saved well by the legs of Godmon and the ball was cleared.  Then in injury time, Faversham almost grabbed a winner when Cook fired just over but in the end the game finished in a draw which was a decent result for both sides.

Cray are next in action on Saturday 2nd February when Herne Bay who did Cray a favour by beating second placed Hastings United are the visitors to Hayes Lane.

Cray Wanderers: Nick Blue, Ben Mundele, Archie Johnson, Jay Leader, Mitchell Nelson (Capt.), Bradley Pritchard, Tom Phipp, Karl Dent (Sean Roberts, 74), Joe Taylor (Daniel Uchechi, 74), Jerome Federico (Junior Dadson, 60):  Subs:  Marcus Evans, Tiwa Fujimade

Att: 243