In a game of few chances, Brendan Kiernan scored the only goal of the game from the penalty spot.

After a cagey start, Eastbourne broke from a Welling corner and Lloyd Dawes should have tested Dan Wilks from Charlie Walker’s cross but his header was well off target.

Gavin McCallum went on a strong run down the wing and cut in but he fired over from the edge of the penalty area.

Arnaud Mendy then made a strong tackle to dispossess a hesitant defender before finding Bradley Goldberg He strode forward before letting fly from twenty yards but he didn’t get a clean connection and his shot drifted wide.

Ryan Hall fired wide for Eastbourne from deep before Welling were on the wrong end of the major talking point of the first half. Kiernan appeared to have been brought down in the penalty area but the referee felt otherwise and cautioned the Welling player for simulation.

Goldberg then looked to curl an effort towards the top corner but Harry Ransom put his body on the line and deflected the shot wide for a corner. McCallum delivered and Thierry Audel headed over.

Just before half time Danny McNamara broke down the right wing and moved inside but shot over.

After the interval, Eastbourne showed a little more ambition and Joe Quigley spun and shot but it was well off target.

Dawes then made good ground but his hopeful shot from a good forty yards went wide then Quigley again tried his luck but Wilks was again able to watch it sail beyond the post.

Steve King made a double substitution mid-half, bringing on Montel Agyemang and Danny Mill and it paid dividends. Mills created an opening and Kiernan tricked his way into the penalty area but he was tripped. He picked himself up and converted himself.

Carrying on as they had all half, Eastbourne again went for a hopeful long range shot but Kristian Campbell summed up their afternoon with an effort that went well wide.

McNamara went on another marauding run and his cross was only half cleared as far as Jack Barham but Sam Howes made a comfortable save from his shot.

Barham again looked to mark his Welling debut with a goal when he spun and shot from the edge of the penalty area but it was too central and Howes again saved without too much worry.

Two minutes remained when the Sports won their only corner but it came to nothing as the visitors failed to register a single effort on target.

The three points took Welling back up to fifth in the league table ahead of their visit to Billericay Town.

Welling United: Wilks, McNamara, Braham-Barrett, Ijaha, Hill, Audel, Kiernan (Acheampong 82), Mendy, Barham, Goldberg (Mills 67), McCallum (Agyemang 67). Subs not used: None.