Following a poor first half, Welling United were far better after the interval and can consider themselves unlucky to return from Woking empty handed.

Toby Edser had a chance for Woking in the first minute when he spun on the edge of the penalty area but he was unable to find the target with his shot.

It was then Matt Paterson’s turn to have a go at the other end but he shot over after Josh Hill had headed John Paul Kissock’s free kick back across goal.

Edser had another effort with a free kick but his attempted curler had no bend and went past the post.

Thierry Audel had the first effort on target but his header from Arnaud Mendy’s free kick didn’t have the power to worry Craig Ross.

Ross then started a Woking attack with a long kick out to send Joshua Casey away down the wing but he was halted by a Josh Hill foul. Edser’s miss-hit free kick was sliced over Welling keeper Dan Wilks for Jack Cook to rise at the far post to head home.

Jamar Loza had a shot beaten out by Wilks and the scramble was ended with a wild Christian Jolley volley.

Another Edser free kick failed to hit the target before Welling thought they had levelled. Kissock floated a free kick to the far post and Danny Mills appeared to head it over the line but while Welling appealed for the goal they failed to notice the raised flag for offside.

Harvey Bradbury created the last chance of the half when sending Edser in but his low shot was well saved by Wilks.

Bradbury had the first opportunity of the second period but had neither the power nor accuracy to concern Welling.

Bradley Goldberg then tried his luck with a free kick. Ross was unable to hold it but as Thierry Audel followed up he was pulled up for offside.

Once more Edser was in the thick of it when shooting wide on the turn.

After that, Welling started to impose themselves and Danny McNamara went on a surging run before letting fly but his effort was blocked at the expense of a corner.

Substitute Gavin McCallum delivered the corner and Audel headed back for fellow substitute Brendan Kiernan to try an overhead effort but it flew over.

McNamara created another half chance but Mills fired over as Welling looked to find an equaliser.

They came even closer in their next attack when McCallum picked out Hill from a free kick but his header hit the inside of the post and came out.

Once more Hill rose well, this time from a corner, but Ross managed to beat it out as far as David Ijaha but he fired over from just outside the penalty area.

As Welling continued to push forward Woking looked to catch them on the break and it was from one of the counter-attacks that the hosts made the game safe. Greg Luer found some space and his shot took a wicked deflection to loop over a stranded Wilks and into the net.

That ended the contest and with no game on Saturday, Welling have ten days to regroup.

Welling United: Wilks, McNamara, Braham-Barrett, Mendy (Agyemang 78), Hill, Audel, Kissock (Kiernan 61), Ijaha, Paterson, Goldberg (McCallum 61), Ijaha, Mills. Subs not used: Newton, Acheampong.