After Welling United’s victory on Boxing Day, Dartford claimed the honours in the return fixture on New Year’s Day.

In the opening minutes Charlie Sheringham was sent clear but Dan Wilks was out quickly to make a great block.

Soon after Julien Anau missed a fantastic chance for Welling. Craig Braham-Barrett angled in a cross and Anau rose unattended but headed wide.

Misfortune then struck for Welling when playmaker Nassim L’Ghoul pulled up with an apparent hamstring injury and he had to be replaced with Zack Newton coming on.

Phil Roberts had a shot saved easily by Dan Wilks before a Luke Rooney free kick caused havoc in the Dartford penalty area but Welling couldn’t force it home.

Danny Mills headed out to Newton but his first time shot went wide. The two combined again soon after when Mills’ cross was headed home by Newton but it was disallowed for offside.

Another Newton shot went beyond the far post before Rooney’s shot was saved comfortably by Bailey Vose.

Despite having the better of the first half Welling almost went behind just before the break when Tom Bonner’s header from Ben Greenhalgh’s free kick was saved brilliantly by Wilks who pushed it on to the post and out.

When the two teams resumed after the interval Welling had the better of the few chances and Vose could only parry Anau’s effort and the Dartford goalkeeper was in action again soon after coming out quickly to block Newton’s shot.

Rooney cut in and fired over then Newton squared for Anau who fired just over from twenty yards.

Still Welling continued to probe and Thierry Audel broke forward before finding Bradley Goldberg. He took aim but his shot was deflected over.

Having failed break the deadlock, Welling almost paid the price when Greenhalgh crossed, Andre Coker knocked it back and Lee Noble fired just over.

John Paul Kissock was next to try his luck when feeding on Mills’ chest down but his shot was deflected wide.

With five minutes remaining, Dartford claimed the only goal of the game. Greenalgh launched a high free kick into the penalty area. The heads went up and it fell for Vint to fire home from close range.

Newton’s long throw caused havoc in the Dartford penalty area but David Ijaha’s shot was blocked by Elliott Bradbrook’s intervention. Although Welling won three corners in the last few minutes they couldn’t find the equaliser that they probably deserved.

Dartford: Vose, Johnson, Onyemah (Wynter 24), Coker (Hayes 78), Vint, Bonner, Greenhalgh, Noble, Roberts (Philpot 64), Sheringham, Bradbrook. Subs not used: Oyenuga, Derbyshire.

Welling United: Wilks, Anau, Braham-Barrett, Audel, Hill, Acheampong, L’Ghoul (Newton 8), Ijaha, Mills, Rooney (Kissock 73), Kiernan (Goldberg 67). Subs not used: McNamara, Mendy.