After Welling United’s Boxing Day victory over Dartford they nose-dived to defeat against Concord Rangers.

In the first minute the visitors went ahead when a free kick from Danny Green was beaten out by Dan Wilks as far as Tyrone Sterling and he made no mistake from close range.

He had another chance soon after when a corner found its way to him but he side-footed beyond the far post from close range.

Jack Midson was the next to come close when in space but his effort was saved brilliantly by Wilks. Then Sam Blackman had a go but Wilks had an easier job in saving that one.

Nassim L’Ghoul had Welling’s first effort but his shot from distance lacked power and Sam Beasant saved easily.

Fraser Shaw was next to chance his arm but his shot took a nick as it went across the face of goal and went out for a corner.

Still Concord looked for a second and another corner caused danger when Lee Minshull was found but he couldn’t get it from under his feet to get a shot away.

Tosan Popo was cautioned for a foul on Nassim L’Ghoul as Welling came into the game and the Frenchman was in action soon after when a header from Danny McNamara’s cross rolled beyond the far post.

Beasant was then called into making a save and an excellent one it was too. Ahmed Abdulah hacked Bradley Goldberg down on the edge of the penalty area and was fortunate to escape a caution but L’Ghoul nearly made him pay. His free kick appeared destined for the bottom corner but a full length dive from Beasant enabled him to palm it away.

Towards the end of the first half Concord had a free kick in a dangerous area and Arnaud Mendy could only head towards his own goal but Wilks was in the right place to claim it.

After the interval Concord looked to nullify Welling’s attacking threats by any means necessary and then hit them on the break. This was exhibited early in the half when after Bradley Goldberg had fired over, Liam Nash streaked away for Concord but fired wide of the near post.

Then he was sent clear again but his fierce drive came back off the underside of the bar.

L’Ghoul had an opportunity but snatched his shot wide of the far post before he fell victim to another foul by Popo. When he picked himself up he delivered a free kick that Thierry Audel headed wide.

Once more L’Ghoul tried a shot and a minor deflection caused his shot to smash against the bar when it was headed for the top corner.

Beasant made a good save from L’Ghoul’s free kick before Concord threatened on another swift break. Abdullah raced away down the right wing and would have sent Nash clear on goal but he over-hit his cross-field pass and the chance was gone.

Nash went on another quick break but fired over before Mendy had a shot deflected wide.

One more chance came Welling’s way in the closing minutes but Brendan Kiernan headed the cross straight at Beasant.

On New Year’s Day, Welling visit Dartford with an immediate opportunity to put the disappointment behind them.

Welling United: Wilks, McNamara (Newton 77), Genovesi, Mendy, Hill, Audel, McCallum (Kiernan 48), Kissock (Anau 64), Mills, Goldberg, L’Ghoul. Subs not used: Ijaha, Acheampong.