Defeat at Hampton and Richmond Borough meant that Welling United failed to capitalise on playing the weekend's only game in the Vanarama National League South.

In miserable weather conditions and on a heavy pitch that got worse as the game went on, Welling failed to adapt and didn’t hit first gear until the final fifteen minutes.

They made four changes from the team that lost at Torquay United seven days earlier. Caden Genovesi, Josh Hill, Gavin McCallum and Matt Paterson came in to replace Craig Braham-Barrett, Richard Orlu, Nassim L’Ghoul and Danny Mills.

Tyrell Miller-Rooney looked to be clear in the opening minutes but Thierry Audel got back to make the block.

However, Welling had a massive shout for a penalty soon after. A blatant handball in Hampton area was seen by everyone except for referee Jack Packman. Then it broke as far as Hill whose shot was deflected onto the angle of bar and post.

Chris Dickson had a shot blocked for Hampton before Welling broke from a Hampton corner and a raking cross-field pass from Brendan Kiernan almost put McCallum in but goalkeeper Tom Lovelock read it well and rushed out to clear.

Impressive Hampton debutant Liam Sole sent over a cross that Dan Wilks claimed at the second attempt then another of his crosses picked out Jack Connors but his header went back across the face of the goal and wide of the far post.

His next cross produced the opening goal on the stroke of half time. It skidded across the zippy surface and Wilks was unable to claim it. Dickson took full advantage and bundled it into the empty net.

After the break Audel registered Welling’s first effort on target when getting on the end of Paterson’s flick on but his header lacked power and Lovelock saved easily.

Dickson was presented with another opportunity but Wilks did well to beat out his well struck drive.

Another chance came his way soon after and this time he took full advantage. Connors’ corner found him with his back to goal but his clever flick flew in.

Craig Dundas set up Dickson for another chance but his attempted curler was saved easily by Wilks.

Daniel Uchechi, having just come on for Hampton, created a shooting opportunity for himself but fizzed it just over.

At last Welling lifted their game and started to create chances. Audel had a shot saved by Lovelock then Danny McNamara pulled back for substitute Mills but Lovelock made an excellent point blank save.

Mills did reduce the arrears with just under ten minutes remaining when Hill prodded it forward to him and he poked it beyond Lovelock.

He came close to equalising a few moments later but his effort was deflected just round the post.

There were no further clear cut chances although Hampton might consider themselves fortunate to finish with eleven men on the pitch. The contact might have been minimal but Simon Downer put his face into Audel’s and escaped with a caution.

Next Saturday, Welling are again on the road and will be looking to get back to winning ways at Hemel Hempstead Town.

Welling United: Wilks, McNamara, Genovesi, Ijaha, Hill, Audel, Kiernan (Newton 63), Mendy (74), Paterson (Mills 59), Goldberg, McCallum. Subs not used: Acheampong, Kissock.