Victory over Hungerford Town lifted Welling United back onto the top of the National League South.

In the first half, Welling struggled to get their game going against Hungerford’s compact diamond midfield but after the break Welling upped their intensity and were good value for their three points.

Little of note happened in the first thirty minutes. Darren Foxley shot well off target for the visitors before Thierry Audel had Welling’s first chance with a towering header that Jacob Weaver tipped over.

It was a good move by Welling that broke the dead-lock. Danny McNamara went on a run down the right wing before finding Nassim L’Ghoul. He moved it on quickly Bradley Goldberg who spun and fired into the bottom corner from twenty yards.

Dan Wilks did well for Welling to come out and block when Rhys Kavanagh chased down a poor back pass and the Hungerford man was involved again as they searched for an equaliser. Having burst down the wing he picked out Danilo Orsi-Dadomo who swivelled on the edge of the area but shot just wide.

Their persistence paid off in first half injury time when Orsi-Dadomo found Matt Jones and he made the most of some hesitant Welling defending to fire home at the near post.

After the break, Welling lifted the pace and L’Ghoul fired in a shot from wide that Weaver couldn’t hold but there was nobody on hand to finish it.

They suffered the same angst soon after when Weaver again beat out a shot, this time from Goldberg then the lively Welling striker headed a cross down for L’Ghoul but his effort flew just wide.

Goldberg then headed wide following a great run and cross by McNamara before Brendan Kiernan had a shot saved by Weaver.

When Hungerford had a rare foray, Foxley had a shot blocked and Audel cleared but Welling were soon back on the attack and a corner came back to L’Ghoul whose first time effort flew beyond the far post.

There were just over twenty minutes remaining when Welling manager Steve King made a substitution that proved pivotal by bringing on Mills for Paterson.

Within six minutes he had repaid the manager’s faith with a great header back for L’Ghoul to bundle home at the far post bravely.

L’Ghoul’s afternoon finished soon afterwards as he was clattered for the umpteenth time and had to limp off.

Welling saw out the final ten minutes in comfort and added a third in the 90th minute, Montel Agyemang sent over a deep corner, Gavin McCallum pulled it back and Mills bundled it home

Welling United: Wilks, McNamara , Braham-Barrett, Ijaha, Ambroisine, Audel, Kiernan, Kissock, Paterson (Mills 69), Goldberg, L’Ghoul (McCallum 78). Subs not used: Orlu, Genovesi