Although playing bottom of the league Weston-super-Mare, Welling United were pushed all the way before they claimed the three points necessary to keep them in the play-off mix.

Jordan Gibbons had to miss out through injury and was replaced by Danny McNamara who has joined Welling on a month’s loan from Millwall.

Steve King’s Welling team came out with real intent and almost scored almost immediately. Brendan Kiernan collected a short corner and crossed to find Yannis Ambroisine who’s acrobatic effort was tipped onto the bar. Eventually it fell for Nassim L’Ghoul but Weston goalkeeper Luke Purnell made a spectacular save.

L’Ghoul was again thwarted by another good save by Purnell to turn it wide

However it didn’t take long for Welling to go ahead. L’Ghoul played it in to Montel Agyemang who moved it on to David Ijaha. He took a look before firing in an unstoppable shot from twenty yards beyond Purnell.

Another good move created another opening but Matt Paterson flicked over L’Ghoul’s near post cross.

Against the run of play, Weston levelled. Alex Byrne sent Marlon Jackson through. Dan Wilks charged out but had to make a hurried clearance which fell to Tom Llewellyn and he launched the ball back into the empty net from forty yards.

Two minutes later Welling went back ahead. Matt Paterson collected a long ball well and flicked past a defender before sending a delicate lob over Purnell and in off the far post.

After L’Ghoul had a free kick saved easily by Purnell, his clever play allowed him to find Paterson. His quick feet created a shooting opportunity but he shot over.

Jackson, who played for Hereford in the F.A. Cup against Welling earlier in the season, chested down a long ball well but his shot was wild and ended up in Danson Park.

Gethyn Hill was then forced into rushing a shot that went wide of the near post just before the interval.

Immediately after the break Jackson headed wide from a long looping cross by Louis McGrory before Purnell again came to Weston’s rescue. Kiernan squared across the face of goal and Paterson measured a shot towards the bottom corner bur Purnell stuck out a right boot to keep it out.

Good probing Weston football kept Welling on their toes but the defence did their job well and kept them at bay, an example being when Caden Genovesi made a great block as McGrory fired in a shot.

Whilst the Seagulls continued to play some good football, Welling looked the more likely to score and a Kiernan shot was saved by Purnell low at the near post.

George Nurse tried to execute a training ground move when having appeared to have been holding back at an attacking corner, he made a late run and met the delivery from twenty-five yards with a first time shot that sailed well over.

Agyemang sent in a free kick that Ambroisine headed across goal but Thierry Audel was unable to force it home at the far post.

Jake Lee flicked a headed half chance wide from another McGrory cross then a long range shot from substitute Ben Swallow rolled harmlessly wide.

Nurse sent in a free kick that was knocked out as far as Hill but he couldn’t keep his shot down.

Nearly six minutes of injury time had passed when Welling made the game safe. Weston threw players forward which gave Welling the chance to counter attack. Agyemang broke quickly and played an excellent ball across to L’Ghoul. He shrugged off the last man before rounding Purnell and slotting home gleefully.

There was barely time for the game to re-start before the final whistle was blown with the three points pushing Welling back up to third place.

Welling United: Wilks, McNamara (Orlu 90), Genovesi, Ijaha, Ambroisine, Audel, Kiernan, Agyemang, Paterson (Goldberg 73), Mills, L’Ghoul. Subs not used: Marsh-Brown, Mendy, Kissock.