It took a late Danny Mills goal to earn Welling United a point against a very physical Wealdstone team.

As the game entered the closing stages, it appeared that the aggressive tactics were going to pay dividends but Welling showed their mettle and kept going until the end.

Caden Genovesi was introduced for a Welling debut replacing the injured Jordan Gibbons.

Tackles flew in from the start with Nassim L’Ghoul appearing to be the target from the start. Despite that, the Wings looked lively and after a couple of half chances had come to nothing Matt Paterson worked his way through before being crowded out before he could get a shot away.

Connor Stevens headed over from a Joe Payne cross before Payne pulled a cross back to Simon Mensah but it got stuck under his feet and he could not get a shot in.

There was then a long break as the referee struggled to control the players before lecturing Jake Sheppard and then L’Ghoul.

Soon after L’Ghoul was shown a soft yellow card for a high challenge before Wealdstone went ahead. A long throw appeared to have been cleared but it came back in to Stevens who, having lost his marker, fired home.

David Pratt then crossed low to the far corner off the penalty area for Sheppard to collect but fired wide.

Pratt, himself, then broke through but shot well wide before Welling had a chance at the other end. Brendan Kiernan crossed but a first time Matt Paterson volley flew well over.

Bradley Hudson-Odoi then broke down the left wing before finding Bradley Bubb, but after wriggling his way through, he stabbed his shot into the side netting.

Four minutes before the break Stevens was replaced after prolonged treatment on a head injury.

Early in the second period, Stones goalkeeper Jonathan Henry has a lucky escape when he collected a cross but collided with Matt Paterson. The ball broke free and Bradley Goldberg appeared to get the final touch but the referee deemed there to have been a foul

Dan Wilks then made his only real save of the match. Kiernan headed inadvertently towards his own goal sending Pratt through but his fierce drive was turned over brilliantly by Wilks.

Another break was foiled by a perfectly timed tackle by Yannis Ambroisine before Welling upped the pace in the search for an equaliser.

Montel Agyemang picked out Kiernan from a corner but it was just too high for him and his side-foot volley flew over.

L’Ghoul then went on a great run shrugging off three attempts to bring him down and he found Thierry Audel but he was unable to finish.

Ninety minutes were on the clock when Welling levelled. Agyemang went on a surging run before putting a diagonal pass that invited a finish and Mills obliged with relish to claim a deserved draw.

Welling United: Wilks, Genovesi, Braham-Barrett, Ijaha (Anau 75), Ambroisine, Audel, L’Ghoul, Agyemang, Paterson, Goldberg (Mills 53), Kiernan. Subs not used: Mendy, Orlu, Marsh-Brown.