Coming into the game, Welling were top of the table but defeat at St. Albans City cost them that position.

Before anyone had settled the hosts hit the bar. Ben Herd went on a long mazy run and crossed for Khale Da Costa but his effort came back off the bar.

Montel Agyemang then had a go for Welling but shot just over from twenty yards.

Nine minutes had passed when the deadlock was broken. Solomon Sambou played a ball through and Da Costa was adjudged to have beaten the offside trap as he raced through to score.

Bradley Goldberg tried his luck for Welling but his shot was saved comfortably.

Another swift break stretched Welling when David Moyo was sent away by Da Costa but Dan Wilks got down well to save.

Jordan Gibbons then went on a surging run down the wing and his low cross into the danger area was bundled out for a corner via the post.

Crisp, accurate Welling passing then stretched the St Albans midfield but the defence held firm and Goldberg’s shot was deflected wide.

There was a big scare for Welling soon after when Ben Wyatt’s free kick was glanced just wide by the head of Dave Diedhiou.

Nassim L’Ghoul then had a great chance but his effort was deflected then on the stroke of half time Thierry Audel headed wide.

After the break Dan Wilks made an outstanding save from Clovis Kamdjo after Wyatt picked him out with a corner.

Sambou then led a break out, Although he was halted at first, it came back to him and he fired just wide.

Moyo headed wide before Welling came very close to drawing level. Audel’s header down struck Lewis Knight and it dribbled just past the post with goalkeeper Dean Snedker an onlooker.

That proved decisive as soon after St. Albans scored the crucial second. Tom Bender fired in a deep cross and Moyo got on to the end of it to finish.

Gibbons fired over from substitute Danny Mills’ knocked down then Audel hit an outside of the boot curler that went just wide.

L’Ghoul skinned Bender who couldn’t foul him having been booked in the first half but Matt Paterson shot well over from his pull back.

The French winger caused more problems soon after but his spin and shot was met by a good save by Snedker.

However there were chances at the other end too and Moyo went on a good run before his shot was deflected wide.

Then Sambou sent Kamdjo through but he sent his shot just beyond the far post.

As the game drew to a close Welling won a free kick but L’Ghoul’s free kick was saved comfortably.

One last chance came Welling’s way when L’Ghoul cut in and shot but Snedker made a good save to ensure that he finished with his clean sheet intact.

Welling United: Wilks; Gibbons, Braham-Barrett, Mendy (Anau 69), Audel, Hill, Kiernan (Marsh-Brown 69), Agyemang, Paterson, Goldberg (Mills 69), L’Ghoul. Subs not used: Ambroisine, Banya.