Ten men Welling United’s F.A. Cup run was ended by defeat at Woking in the fourth qualifying round.

Julien Anau, on his full Welling debut, was one of the Wings’ players to be shown a cheap first half yellow card and his foul in the second half, for which he was booked again, would normally warrant no more than a final warning. However, on this occasion the referee deemed it worthy of a second yellow and Anau was dismissed.

In the opening minutes Woking’s centre forward, Jake Hyde, was late and high in a challenge on Jordan Gibbons. It was probably the worst challenge of the whole match but was punished with a free kick and a word only.

Welling took control after that but when Brendan Kiernan tried his luck with a half volley from the edge of the area it flew well over.

Nassim L’Ghoul attempted to catch Woking goalkeeper Craig Ross out with a near post free kick but the Cards’ custodian got across to scramble it around his post.

Anau hit a wild shot high and wide before an excellent free flowing Welling move gave him another opportunity but his effort went across the face of the goal and wide of the far post

Gibbons made a crucial intervention on a rare Woking raid before Kiernan went on one of his surging runs before firing well off target when he might have looked at playing a team-mate in.

Another chance came and went when Craig Braham-Barrett stormed down the wing before crossing for Danny Mills who hung in the air but could not direct his header inside the far post.

As the half drew to a close Nicky Wheeler found Max Kretzschmar in acres of space but Braham-Barrett was able to get back and make a saving tackle.

After the break, Woking showed a little more intent and Jamar Loza fired a shot into the side netting before Hyde slammed the ball home but it was correctly disallowed as he had fouled Thierry Audel to make the space.

Having already been cautioned, Anau committed an innocuous file in midfield and was shown a second yellow card.

John Paul Kissock made a great block as Welling struggled to regroup and Woking finally managed to register a shot on target as Kretschmar hit a twenty yarder directly at Dan Wilks in the Welling goal.

Thirty-two second half minutes had passed when the deadlock was broken. A cross was not cleared properly and Paul Hodges nodded it back in for Ben Gerring to rise to head home.

To their credit the ten man team came back strongly and Kiernan had a shot well saved by Woking goalkeeper Craig Ross.

Injury time was approaching when Kiernan bulleted a header wide from a Nassim L’Ghoul corner.

Then deep into injury time Welling had one more chance. L’Ghoul slung in a free kick and substitute Bradley Goldberg connected well but Ross flung himself to his right to make an exceptional save.

That was Welling’s last chance and ended their hopes of making it into the F.A. Cup first round.

Welling United: Wilks; Gibbons (Goldberg 81), Braham-Barrett, Anau, Audel, Hill, Kiernan, Mendy, Mills, Kissock (Ijaha 81), L’Ghoul. Subs not used: Quebe, Ambroisine, Hurst, McCallum, Banya.