Adam Coombes’ brace helped Welling to see off a hard working and well drilled Slough Town team.

It was the on-loan striker’s third debut for the Wings and it took him just two minutes for him to mark it with a goal. Jack Jebb whipped in a free kick and Coombes rose to head home from close range.

Soon after Jordan Gibbons broke through down the right wing and tried to slot it past Jack Turner unsuccessfully when squaring to Brendan Kiernan may have paid dividends.

That could have proved costly as Slough broke and Manny Williams shot well wide from a good position.

Another good Welling chance came and went when Coombes played Bradley Goldberg in but his attempt to find the top corner was too high and curled over.

Two defensive blocks, one at each end, followed. Sam Togwell made a brave block from Goldberg then Arnaud Mendy threw his body in the line of fire to block Matt Stevens’ effort.

After twenty minutes Jack Jebb turned awkwardly and went down holding his knee and was replaced by David Ijaha.

Nassim L’Ghoul had Welling’s next opportunity. Coombes nicked a tackle away to Goldberg and he found the French winger but he shot wide.

Lee Togwell had a shot that was deflected up into the air for Dan Wilks before L’Ghoul fired a free kick over.

James Dobson fired a Slough free kick into the wall then on their next attack his shot flew high and wide and disappeared down the High Street.

Kiernan cut in and shot over for Welling and Stevens headed over for Slough in a little end to end spell before Welling had the better of the remainder of the half.

L’Ghoul had another great chance for Welling when another thrilling run sent him clear down the inside left channel. Turner came out quickly and although L’Ghoul slipped it past him, he also put it wide of the far post.

There was still time for Welling to create one more chance before the break. Coombes held it up well before Kiernan jinked his way through but shot wide when he had a sight of goal.

Immediately after the break, Slough made Welling pay for not finishing the game as a contest in the first half. A long throw caused problems and Guy Hollis found Dobson unmarked. His first time volley was crisp and gave Wilks no chance.

Dobson then chanced his arm with a free kick that clipped the defensive wall and went just wide.

He then turned provider with a cross that Sam Togwell headed wide before Stevens held up a long clearance well before teeing up Dobson who curled his effort wide.

Mark Nisbet had a free header from a corner before Julien Anau came on for Welling to give them a bit more creativity.

That seemed to work as Welling started to threaten again and they re-gained the lead with seven minutes remaining. Gibbons got ahead of Hollis in the area and his clumsy challenge was punished with the award of a penalty. Coombes stepped up and sent Turner the wrong way.

Minutes later, Welling might have had another penalty when Coombes appeared to be bundled over but this time the referee felt that there was nothing doing.

Although he’d had little to do, Wilks was called upon to make a good save in the ninetieth minute when George Wells’ long range shot was headed for the top corner.

When Sam Togwell headed a Dobson cross wide in the final minute of injury time they knew it wasn’t to be for them.

Victory took Welling above Woking into second place in the league, the team that they will visit next Saturday in the F.A. Cup,

Welling United: Wilks, Gibbons, Banya, Mendy (Anau 71), Hill, Audel, Kiernan, Jebb (Ijaha 21), Goldberg (Mills 54), Coombes, L’Ghoul. Subs not used: Paterson, Ambroisine.