Impressive Welling United had too much for Vanarama National League North Hereford to progress to the fourth qualifying round of the F.A. Cup.

Brendan Kiernan returned from injury to replace the unfit Gavin McCallum in an otherwise unchanged Welling team from the side that won well at Bath City seven days earlier.

Jack Jebb tried his luck with a free kick from thirty yards early on but he could not muster sufficient power to trouble Martin Horsell.

Dan Wilks first save for Welling was equally comfortable when Lewis Hall tried his luck from the edge of the area but the Wings custodian dropped to his left to smother.

When Welling failed to clear their lines, Hereford took advantage and Danny Greenslade crossed but Eliot Richards headed wide when he should have done better.

That proved costly soon after. Michael McGrath fouled Nassim L’Ghoul thirty yards out. Jebb delivered a trade-mark ball in and Thierry Audel rose to power his header home.

Unfortunately for the hosts, Horsell and McGrath collided resulting in the former being stretchered off and the latter having to go off with a bad cut on his head. Having already been forced to make one change that meant that their substitutions were done.

One of the substitutes, Jamie Bird, fired a shot well wide as Hereford looked to make a quick response but it was Welling who again came close.

Every dead ball situation caused Hereford problems and Jebb delivered a corner that Brendan Kiernan met at the near post but could not head home.

Kieran Thomas fizzed a long shot beyond the far post after a cross was half cleared before another Jebb corner caused problems. Danny Mills headed it down but Josh Hill, at full stretch, could only stab it wide.

Kiernan then tried to send Mills through but 17 year old Powell was out smartly to smother.

Back at the other end a goalmouth scramble from a Hereford corner came out as far as Bird but he fired over from twenty yards.

On 69 minutes, Welling scored the second goal that made it more comfortable. A clearance from a Hereford corner came out to L’Ghoul and he surged down the right wing before pushing it through to Kiernan. Although it was slightly over-hit, Kiernan chased it to the bye-line, pulled it back, then cut across before slotting home.

Bird fired wide from another optimistic long range effort before a Greenslade cross picked out Richards but his header went well wide.

Two Jebb free kicks missed the target but Welling saw the game out easily and will await Monday’s F.A. Cup draw.

Welling United: Wilks, Hurst (Gibbons 83), Braham-Barrett, Mendy, Hill, Audel, Kiernan, Jebb, Mills, Kissock (Ijaha 90), L’Ghoul (Anau 72). Subs not used: Ambroisine, Quebe, Goldberg, Pinney.