Fifth placed team, Bath City, hosted fourth team side, Welling United, in a game that both clubs wanted to win to show their promotion credentials.

After ninety minutes of intriguing football it was Welling who came out on top and they were excellent value for their win.

Josh Hill was drafted in for his Welling debut having previously played for Braintree Town but the other new member to the squad, Adam Coombes, had to be content with a place on the bench at the start of his third spell with the club.

Hill and Thierry Audel looked as though they had been playing together all season and with Arnaud Mendy imperious in front of them.

In the first minute Nassim L’Ghoul cut in and shot. Although Ryan Clarke’s save was not convincing his luck was in when it fell safe for players following up.

Jack Jebb collected a throw in from Craig Braham-Barrett but his improvised cross was just too high for Danny Mills at the far post.

Braham-Barrett then chanced his arm when a corner was half cleared but his drive took a nick and flew over.

Although Welling continued to probe, it was Bath who had the next shot on target, a long range effort from Joe Raynes that Dan Wilks dived to save comfortably.

Twenty five minutes were on the clock when Welling went ahead. Whilst their game had been founded on excellent passing, it was a direct move from which they went ahead. A long free kick was headed on by Danny Mills and Gavin McCallum got in ahead of out-rushing goalkeeper Ryan Clarke, and showed great technique to flick it home.

It might have been two shortly after when Mills headed Jack Jebb’s corner back across goal but nobody was on hand to finish.

L’Ghoul was proving to be a real handful and he looked to have played Mills in but Robbie Cundy made an outstanding challenge just as the Welling player was looking to pull the trigger.

They again combined to give McCallum an opportunity but he shot into the side netting from the edge of the area.

Jack Batten had a good opportunity for Bath when he met a long free kick but he headed it straight into the arms of Wilks.

Ross Stearn then tried his luck with a shot from a tight angle but again Wilks saved easily.

Another McCallum drive was deflected wide but Welling almost got caught on the break from their own corner when Adam Mann was given space down the left hand channel but he blasted well over.

After the break, Welling had to withdraw McCallum and replace him with Julien Anau and he provided different problems with his skills for Bath on the right flank.

Jebb had a shot blocked by Cundy before Anau went on an excellent run before firing in a low cross that had Clarke in all sorts of difficulties and he was relieved when a defender was able to hack it away,

Mills again won an arial battle when getting his head onto a James Hurst free kick but Clarke was relieved to claim it.

Mann then created a half chance for Stearn but he fired well over and out of the ground from the edge of the area.

John Paul Kissock then nicked a loose ball in midfield and found Jebb who moved it on to Mills. His well weighted pass sent L’Ghoul in behind but he fired just over.

Stearn had a shot from a tight angle beaten out by Wilks then a Raynes effort was blocked by Craig Braham-Barrett as the Romans tried to up their efforts.

Bath then had a great chance when substitute John Mills was sent away. He delayed his shot sufficiently for Mendy to make an excellent block but it came back out and Wilks was called upon to make a double save, the second one was an outstanding stop.

That proved crucial as minutes later Welling scored the all important second goal. L’Ghoul made space for Jebb and his cross picked out Mills who controlled in front of Clarke before flicking home for his first Welling league goal.

Jebb sent a free kick over for Welling and Mann fired a long shot well over for Bath.

One last chance came Welling’s way when L’Ghoul again found Mills but his shot was saved comfortably by Clarke.

Five additional minutes were played but there were no further alarms and Welling were deserved winners.

Welling United: Wilks, Hurst, Braham-Barrett, Mendy, Audel, Hill, L’Ghoul, Jebb, Mills, Kissock, McCallum (Anau 49). Subs not used: Ambroisine, Pinney, Coombes, Quebe.