Cray Wanderers kept their 100% winning start to the season going after a tremendous match against Hythe Town at Hayes Lane in a match which saw seven goals and thrills and spills aplenty.  On a grim, wet and windy afternoon two sides in great form served up a treat but ultimately it was Cray who won the day with Jay Leader’s 87th minute goal proving decisive.

In a game with twists and turns Cray led 2-0 after 21 minutes with goals from Leader and Freddie Parker before a quick fire double just after the half hour drew Hythe level.  Sean Roberts put Cray back in front on 68 minutes before Hythe tied the game with ten minutes to go before Leader’s late intervention.

Two sides in good form, Cray top of the table, Hythe fifth began the game in confident mood and Aaron Rhule for Cray saw a shot pushed out by George Kamurasi whilst for Hythe Charlie Webster was denied by a push around save from Nick Blue.

Just on the quarter of an hour Cray took the lead when from a left wing corner, Pritchard’s ball across was brilliantly delivered towards the far post and Jay Leader rose highest to plant a header into the net.

Six minutes later Cray scored a second when Rhule put over a great ball from close to the touchline into Freddie Parker virtually on the penalty spot who trapped the ball, turned two defenders and placed a shot wide of Kamurasi to make it 2-0.

Hythe though particularly through Kieron Campbell down the right were looking dangerous and just after the half hour the Cannons pulled a goal back when Campbell ran into the box and his shot was low and well struck beating Blue’s dive to make it 2-1 possibly via a deflection.

In the 34th minute Hythe drew level with Campbell to the fore again showing good pace and switched the ball out to the left where Aziz Lyoubi inside the area brought a diving save from Blue but following up Chris Kinnear lashed home an unstoppable drive to tie the game.

Cray were dominating the second half and came close through Parker who shot wide and Archie Johnson whose stinging drive was pushed behind by Kamurasi.

The Wands though went back in front on 68 minutes when another left wing corner from Pritchard was punched out by Kamurasi and Leader set up Roberts from just outside the area who hit a first time shot into the back of the net.

Junior Dadson was denied a goal for Cray by a blocked save from Kamurasi but it was Hythe who would score again, slightly against the run of play ten minutes from time when prolific marksman Zak Ansah hooked home a shot for his 14th goal of the season.

Cray though would have the final say on 87 minutes when after a right wing corner kick, and Pritchard’s third assist Leader reacted quicker than the Hythe defence to plant a header into the net and win a breathless game 4-3.

Cray top the Isthmian South-East table with 18 points and are in midweek league action this Wednesday with Whyteleafe the visitors to Hayes Lane.     

Cray Wanderers: Nick Blue, Barney Williams (Capt.), Archie Johnson, Jay Leader, Mitchell Nelson (Marcus Evans, 47), Bradley Pritchard, Sean Roberts, Tom Phipp, Freddie Parker, Aaron Rhule (Junior Dadson, 33), Jerome Federico (Malik Solebo, 90):  Subs: Zak Henry, Iffy Onweachu

Att: 208