First half goals by Brendan Kiernan and Jack Jebb were sufficient to see off a hard-working East Thurrock United team.

In the opening minutes Thierry Audel had a header saved but the visitors came close moments later to open the scoring. Veteran hit-man Sam Higgins crossed from the right and Tom Derry’s header crashed back off the crossbar.

Danny Mills’ header was flicked on by Bradley Goldberg but went the wrong side of the post then Higgins was fouled on the edge of the area. He took the free kick himself but the defensive wall held firm and deflected the shot over the bar.

On sixteen minutes, and from their third corner, Welling went ahead. Jebb’s delivery picked out Kiernan at the far post and his low side footed volley flew home.

David Ijaha forced his way through but fired over then Goldberg had a shot blocked before Mills headed over from another Jebb corner.

It seemed only a matter of time when Welling would increase their lead and the second goal was added ten minutes after the first. Jebb’s ball up field picked out Mills and his control and hold-up play was excellent. Eventually he switched it out wide to Craig Braham-Barrett and he picked out Jebb who had arrived late at the edge of the box. He looked up before placing his shot just inside the far post.

Goldberg burst down the right wing and cut in and shot but Jack Giddens made an excellent save.

Then came a controversial moment. Roman Michael-Percil went to ground in the penalty area as James Hurst challenged but referee Robert Massey-Ellis deemed it a dive and cautioned the East Thurrock wide man.

Higgins brought down a long ball well but ruined his good work when volleying well over before Welling had a great opportunity to add a third. Kiernan wriggled his way along the bye-line and was clipped by Tom Stephen. A penalty was awarded but Goldberg’s conversion lacked conviction and was saved comfortably.

Hurst fired well over from deep then skills from Nassim L’Ghoul allowed him to cross to Jebb who showed great technique to fire in a shot but it was blocked to safety.

Early in the second half Higgins shot over from twenty-five yards before Michael-Percil wriggled his way through only for Thierry Audel to make a last ditch clearance.

L’Ghoul then tried his luck when cutting in but pulled his shot wide of the near post.

Former Wing Harry Lee had a low drive well claimed by Wilks before both goalkeepers made outstanding saves. First Wilks dived full length to save a Derry drive that was heading for the top corner.

Then Giddens made three excellent saves in quick succession. Substitute John Paul Kissock found Goldberg and Giddens made a brilliant close range save to turn it over. Mills then met Jebb’s corner with a powerful header at the far post which brought a stunning save out of the Rocks’ custodian.

Finally Kiernan’s shot from the edge of the area was tipped over by a flying Giddens.

Wilks then had to show his talents again when Derry broke through but the Welling goalkeeper was out quickly to make a great block.

That proved to be the end of East Thurrock as an attacking threat and all the late chances went Welling’s way. Lee Burns was on hand to clear when Mills managed to get ahead of Giddens then Kiernan hit the post and goalkeeper from a tight angle.

Tricky L’Ghoul crossed to Mills who headed over then Audel had a shot saved by the over-worked stopper.

Braham-Barrett went on a good run and shot high over then deep into injury time Gavin McCallum fired beyond the far post.

Three points took Welling back up to fourth place and they now have a rest from league action as they start their F.A. Cup campaign against Chesham United next Saturday.

Welling United: Wilks, Hurst Braham-Barrett, Ijaha, Ambroisine, Audel, L’Ghoul, Jebb (Kissock 61), Mills, Goldberg (McCallum 77), Kiernan (Mendy 84). Subs not used: Mendes, McDonald.