Despite having the better of the chances, Welling United were held to a draw by Hemel Hempstead Town.

Wings’ manager Steve King again made changes bringing in Charles Banya for a full league debut and recalling Bradley Goldberg and Nassim L’Ghoul.

After just eight minutes Welling went behind. Craig Braham-Barrett conceded a foul out wide which also earned him a yellow card and Jordan Parkes stepped up to take it. Whether it was a cross or a shot, only Parkes knows, but it defeated Wings’ goalkeeper and hit the stanchion inside the far post.

He then tried his luck from the other side but on this occasion Wilks claimed easily.

Danny Mills broke through for Welling but Laurie Walker came out quickly and deflected it wide for a corner.

His escape was short-lived however as Jack Jebb’s corner caused havoc. It was half cleared but only as far as Brendan Kiernan and he showed tremendous technique to hook home.

Looking to build on that, Jebb delivered a free kick that Kiernan reached at the far post but Kiernan, at full stretch, could only prod at Walker.

Walker then made a stunning save when Goldberg received L’Ghoul’s pass and arrowed a shot towards the bottom corner.

Another Jebb delivery caused problems and James Kaloczi was relieved when his header at the far post flew just wide of the far post.

Sanchez Watt floated a header wide for the Tudors but Welling were soon on the attack again and Kiernan fired wide with a first time shot wide from a Braham-Barrett pass.

Once more Kiernan tried his luck when collecting a pass from L’Ghoul but it was deflected wide then Jebb drove a cross into the six yard box but Anthony Acheampong couldn’t reach to finish.

Parkes shot wide from twenty five yards in the closing minutes of the first half.

After the break, Welling continued to press and a Mills attempt was thwarted by a great block by Billy Clifford.

L’Ghoul squared for Thierry Audel but he fired over as Welling continued to probe then Mills headed over at the far post from Braham-Barrett’s cross.

Attempting to surprise the visitors, Jebb gave up free kick duties temporarily but L’Ghoul didn’t make the most of it and his effort rolled into the arms of Walker.

He was then replaced by Gavin McCallum and he almost made an immediate impact with a deflected shot that brought a good save out of Walker.

Then he presented an opportunity for Mills but he fired straight at Walker before the Tudors’ stopper made a comfortable save from Kiernan.

Goldberg then had an outstanding chance when sent clear but Walker made himself big and Goldberg was unable to slot it home.

Welling might have paid a more severe penalty when following a goalmouth scramble it fell to Karl Owiyide but his shot was deflected over.

There was still time for Welling to mount one last chance but the pass to Kiernan did not allow him to bear directly on goal and although he rounded Walker, he was forced into shooting from a tight angle and Tom Hamblin was able to clear off the line.

Joe Howe had an injury time thirty yard shot for the Tudors that Wilks tipped over but the game ended with the spoils shared.

Welling United: Wilks, Banya, Braham-Barrett, Jebb, Audel, Acheampong, L’Ghoul (McCallum 76), Kissock, Goldberg, Mills, Kiernan. Subs not used: Mendy, Ijaha, Pinney, Johnson.