Following their opening game victory, Welling United travelled to Eastbourne Borough for their first midweek league game of the season.

Although they dominated for the majority of the game, they were unable to finish their chances and lost to a contentious goal.

Arnaud Mendy was the first player to chance his arm. Jordan Gibbons’ high cross was punched out by Mark Smith, under pressure, only as far as Mendy but his shot hit a defender and went for a corner.

At the other end Eastbourne had a look at goal when a free kick was half cleared as far as Dean Cox but his effort flew into the car park behind the goal.

Danny Mills then went close for Welling but was unable to direct a deep Nassim L’Ghoul inside the far post.

Another Eastbourne effort flew over, this time from Lloyd Dawes, before the hosts went ahead in controversial circumstances. Sergio Torres sent Dawes clear. Although there was more than a suspicion of offside it didn’t bother him and he slotted home into the bottom corner.

L’Ghoul almost levelled immediately after when meeting a Jack Jebb free kick but his header flew back off the post and Thierry Audel, following up, was unable to put away the rebound.

Again the woodwork came to the Sports’ rescue when Mills hooked an effort that came back off the bar and L’Ghoul thrashed the rebound over.

Mendy had another effort that took a deflection that just took it away from the top corner however the Sports still looked dangerous on the break and Dan Wilks had to be watchful when Torres let fly from thirty yards.

One last chance came Welling’s way before the break but Yannis Ambroisine headed over from another Jebb free kick.

Jebb had Welling’s first chance of the second period but he couldn’t get sufficient power in his header from Gavin McCallum’s cross to worry Smith.

It signalled the start of a one-sided half and Audel came close with a header from corner that was well turned away by Smith.

Two successive corners followed that caused chaos but nobody was able to get a shot away.

In a rare break Eastbourne had a chance when former Wing Ryan Hall let fly from 35 yards but Wilks did well to turn it round the post.

However, Welling were soon back on the attack and another L’Ghoul effort was deflected wide for a corner.

Next it was Jebb’s turn to find the car park as Welling continued to press before he fired a free kick just over.

Two substitutes then combined to create the next opportunity. John Paul Kissock crossed deep to Brendan Kiernan who rose at the far post but could only direct his header the wrong side of the far post.

As the game headed into the closing stages an almighty goalmouth scramble was defended desperately until it came out to Jebb but he was aghast when his fierce drive went too high.

One last chance came and went when Mills headed over from Craig Braham-Barrett's deep cross.

Welling United: Wilks, Gibbons, Braham-Barrett, Ijaha (Goldberg 79), Ambroisine, Audel, McCallum (Kiernan 58), Mendy (Kissock 63), Mills, Jebb, L’Ghoul. Subs not used: Pinney, Orlu.