After an encouraging pre-season campaign, competitive football returned to Park View Road as Welling United entertained National League South new boys Dulwich Hamlet.

It was the first venture into National League football and the South London club came out looking to keep their promotion momentum going.

Both teams made light of the high temperatures although the first half yellow card count might give the impression that some got a little hot under the collar. In truth, most of the bookings were for pretty innocuous fouls as the two teams tried to impose themselves.

Following a quiet opening a Nassim L’Ghoul cross struck Magnus Okuonghae and looped into the arms of Preston Edwards.

Ashley Carew had Dulwich’s first true goal attempt with a free kick that came back off the defensive wall.

Soon after, Dan Wilks, Welling’s goalkeeper, pushed a long throw onto the post before claiming the rebound.

Then Welling enjoyed some half chances. Jack Jebb put a short free kick into the path of David Ijaha but his side foot shot was blocked before troubling Edwards.

Jebb then found Danny Mills who tried to set up L’Ghoul but Okuonghae made a crucial interception and the half ended goal-less.

Immediately after the break, Carew was presented with another chance from a free kick. This time he cleared the wall only to be thwarted by an outstanding finger-tip save by Wilks.

However, it was from Welling’s free kick specialist Jebb’s delivery that the first goal came. He whipped in a superb cross that demanded a finish and that was duly applied by Audel.

Three minutes later, Dulwich’s problems were compounded. Having been cautioned in the first half for swinging a leg wildly at L’Ghoul, he shoved Mills into the advertising hoarding and was correctly shown a second yellow and dismissed.

Jordan Gibbons was picked out by Jebb and he cut in but shot over then Jebb was in the thick of things again, finding Gavin McCallum who shot wide of the far post.

Eventually, Welling went ahead when McCallum set up Jebb who nutmegged Edwards when firing home.

Two substitutes, Brendan Kiernan and John Paul Kissock, were unable to find the target before McCallum surged forward but shot beyond the near post.

Although Nathan Ferguson had a shot that rolled wide for the visitors, they never looked like reducing the arrears and Welling claimed three comfortable points.

Welling United: Wilks, Gibbons, Braham-Barrett, Ijaha (Kissock 75), Ambroisine, Audel, McCallum, Mendy, Mills, Jebb (Goldberg 81), L’Ghoul (Kiernan 75). Subs not used: Orlu, Banya.