New-look Welling United impressed with a solid work-out against Watford’s under 23 team.

Following their game against Charlton Athletic seven days earlier, Welling had two training sessions to prepare for their game with the Hornets. It appeared that the training sessions were well spent as they looked organised and lively.

On the day before the game it had been announced that leading scorer Adam Coombes had left Welling for Billericay Town but the arrival of Danny Mills on a season long loan from Ebbsfleet United suggests that they still possess a very real goal threat.

Almost immediately, Mills showed the danger he poses in the air. Jack Jebb sent over a superb corner that Mills met with a diving header that flew just over.

At the other end a good move got Michael Folivi in behind but he fired over. Then Alex Jakubiak broke down the inside right track but Dan Wilks burst out quickly blocking with his legs.

Mills again came close when meeting Craig Braham-Barrett’s cross with a firm header that Sam Howes was happy to tip over.

Jebb had a long shot saved comfortably before his free kick was headed over by Thierry Audal.

Bradley Goldberg then burst down the left and fired in a shot that Howes saved before a drinks break was called.

When play resumed, Watford created another chance when Randeell Williams broke down the left but Wilks was again out quickly to block with his legs.

There didn’t seem much danger when Welling went ahead but Mills had other ideas. Joy Mukena was hesitant in clearing and Mills nicked it away from him before flicking it beyond Howes and just inside the post.

They almost scored again in their next attack. Gavin McCallum’s cross found Mills but his knock back across goal was inches beyond Goldberg.

Moments later, the Hornets equalised. Jakubiak cut across the face of the goal before he fired in an unstoppable shot inside the far post.

Williams side footed wide of the far post before Folivi headed over as Watford finished the half strongly.

After the break Welling won four corners in quick succession, one of which, delivered by Jebb, was sliced just wide of his own goal by Williams.

Changes galore followed for both teams before Welling went ahead ten minutes into the second half. Mills turned provider by setting up an un-named trialist who finished in style.

Nassim L’Ghoul then came on and ran riot down the left wing. It came as no surprise that he was involved in the third goal. Having forced his way to the bye-line he pulled it back for another substitute, Nathaniel Pinney, to polish it off.

L’Ghoul then played a long killer ball through but another un-named trialist was foiled by a brilliant save by Howes.

One more team move started by L’Ghoul and ended with his shot being saved almost made it four as Welling finished well on top.

Welling United: Wilks, Gibbons, Braham-Barrett, Mendy, Audal, Acheampong, Jebb, Kissock, Mills, Goldberg, McCallum. Substitutes included: Dymond, Ambroisine, L’Ghoul, Pinney.