The honours were shared at Hayes Lane as promotion chasing Cray Wanderers and Greenwich Borough fought out a dramatic 2-2 draw with the Wands scoring eight minutes into added time courtesy of Michael Power’s penalty kick.  Both sides had come into the game in good form with Cray winning their last four and Greenwich Borough their last six matches and both teams served up a cracking Easter Monday contest.

Greenwich started very well and took the lead in the 7th minute with a well worked goal ending when Sam Corne played a good ball down the right to the lively Jack Barham who broke into and fired in a near post shot which Nick Blue couldn’t keep out and Borough were ahead. 

In the 23rd minute Cray got back into the game when from a quickly taken throw in down the right Ben Mundele turned towards goal, went past Kaka Dembele and into the box where Corne stuck out a leg and Mundele went down in the area for a penalty kick.  Charlie MacDonald stepped up to impudently place the ball into the net to make it 1-1.

Both sides had chances to take the lead before half time with Junior Dadson firing just wide after a break down the right and Barham was unlucky with an effort which just went past the post as the game was tied at half time.

In the 53rd minute Cray went behind once again when Bradley Pritchard picked the ball up from a Cray clearance out of defence and into the midfield who fed Travis Gregory down the left and his ball across was inviting and Barham nudged the ball into the net from about five yards out for his 32nd goal of the season.

Cray came close after when Karl Dent’s free kick was pushed behind by Michael McEntegart and then saved from Mitchell Nelson’s header.  Charlie MacDonald also was denied by the keeper as the Wands kept up the pressure.

Due to a head injury to Borough’s Tom Carlse, there were nine minutes of injury time added on at the end of the game and it was in the seventh minute of the additional time that there was late drama.  Aaron Rhule made a run down the right and his ball into the penalty area found MacDonald whose header was handled on the line by Callum McGeehan and a second penalty was awarded and the Borough defender was sent off.  This time Michael Power stepped up and slotted home to make it 2-2 and on reflection was about the right result on the balance of play.

Cray next travel to VCD Athletic on Saturday and remain fourth on 82 points, one behind third placed Borough.  Lewes lead the table with 89 points with Carshalton Athletic second on 87 points but have a game in hand on the leaders.

Cray Wanderers: Nick Blue, Barney Williams, Ben Mundele, Jay Leader, Mitchell Nelson, Lea Dawson (Capt.), Zak Henry, Karl Dent (Michael Power, 82), Charlie MacDonald, Aaron Rhule, Junior Dadson (Brandon Scott, 54): Subs: Kyron Farrell, Michael Freiter, Marcus Evans

Att:  269