Welling United continued their recent good run with victory against Braintree Town at Park View Road.

They made one change from the team that won at Poole seven days early with Christian Nanetti replacing Harley Willard who was ill.

Building on their victory at Poole seven days earlier, Welling came out strongly and Joe Healy fired over after Christian Nanetti's cross was half cleared.

Jack Parkinson then sent in a free kick that was flicked on by Anthony Acheampong but his first time lob off the outside of his boot went just over.

Nanetti shot over after a corner wasn't cleared properly before the event that helped shape the match occurred.

Ricky Gabriel appeared to take a dislike to an innocuous Callum Driver challenge and grabbed him under the throat. After some pushing and shoving by several players, Gabriel again pulled Driver by the shirt collar. Referee Jason Richardson stood and watched before showing Gabriel a red card. He also booked Driver although he appeared to have done little wrong.

Brad Quinton, Braintree's manager, took action by replacing Roman Michael-Percil with Ben Wyatt in order to keep his team's defensive shape.

Driver put in a cross that found Olumide Durojaiye but his header flashed just wide.

Bradley Goldberg then pulled back to Joe Healy but his drive was blocked bravely by Christian Frimpong.

In first half injury time, the visitors had their first goal attempt but Phil Roberts' effort dipped too late having already gone over the bar.

Connor Dymond shot over early in the second period as still neither goalkeeper was called upon to make a save.

That didn't change when Jon Muleba's weak shot rolled wide however the first shot from either side that was on target produced the first goal just after the hour mark.

Joe Ellul's foul earned him a booking but his punishment was made more severe when Driver stepped up and fired a beautiful free kick beyond Nathan McDonald towards the top corner.

Luke Allen shot well wide of the near post for Braintree before Jonathan Miles made his first save of the match when keeping out Roberts' shot acrobatically.

McDonald tipped over Tom Bradbrook's header but Welling increased their lead from the corner. Jeffrey Monakana took a short corner to Nanetti and McDonald made a mess of the cross, dropping it for Anthony Acheampong to smash home.

Bradbrook had a header easily saved before Welling made it three with just under fifteen minutes remaining. Goldberg led the attack with a strong run before finding Bradbrook who switched it out to Jack Jebb. He looked up and bent it over McDonald and into the net from a wide angle.

Monakana fired over before Welling took their foot off the pedal and Roberts had two shots saved by Miles.

Next Saturday, Welling have no game but may look for a friendly before returning to league action against Gloucester City in two weeks.

Welling United: Miles, Driver, Johnson, Dymond (Bradbrook 54), Acheampong, Parkinson, Monakana, Durojaiye, Goldberg, Healy (Jefford 85), Nanetti (Jebb 70). Subs not used: Coyle, Willard.