Welling United arrested their run without a win with a comfortable victory against Eastbourne Borough at Park View Road.

It was their first victory since the first Saturday in November, and their first home win for three months. It was also their first clean sheet since winning at Gloucester in mid-October.

Jonathan Miles became their sixth starting goalkeeper this season, making his debut on loan from Ebbsfleet United, and another loanee, Anthony Acheampong, came in to start his second spell with Welling.

However, it was Elliott Romain who was finishing his loan spell from Dagenham and Redbridge who starred.

Tom Bradbrook had the first attempt of the match with a curler that he hit too straight after Romain's knock on slipped him in.

Nine minutes were on the board when Welling went ahead. Romain collected Joe Healy's pass and squared to Olumide Durojaiye. His first touch opened it up allowing him to fire home from the edge of the area.

Emmanuel Udoji was cautioned for hacking down Archie Johnson before Romain had a shot deflected wide for a corner. When the delivery came in, Romain met it but shot wide.

Shaun Okojie registered Eastbourne's only shot on target from outside the penalty area but it had no power and rolled into the hands of Miles.

Udoji then cleaned Healy out and received a stern lecture that could have been another caution. Eastbourne manager Jamie Howell recognised the danger and substituted him immediately.

As half time approached, Bradbrook struck a fierce drive butt Will Hendon stayed brave to head off the line.

Yemi Odubade had the last shot of the half with an effort that disappeared into Danson Park.

After the break, chances continued to be scarce although Welling had a number of corners that came to nothing.

Callum Driver and Obudabe had a nasty clash of heads causing a long delay. Neither could continue and Harley Willard was introduced for his Wings debut.

He almost made an immediate impression when setting off on a run from his own half, playing a one-two with Romain, and then powering on before firing wide of the near post.

Eleven regulation minutes remained when Welling scored the crucial second. Romain hurried Harry Ransom into making a back pass from forty-five yards. Romain hared after it and rushed Sports' goalkeeper Mark Smith into a hurried clearance but it struck the Welling striker and rebounded into the net.

Jack Jebb came on as a late substitute and tested Smith immediately with a near post drive that the goalkeeper could only turn round for a corner.

In injury time, Ian Simpemba hacked Romain down out on the wing, conceding a free kick and receiving a yellow card for good measure. Jebb delivered and Romain was given the freedom of the penalty area to head home.

Jamie Coyle's team have no game next Saturday but will travel to Poole Town one week later in good spirits.

Welling United: Miles, Driver (Willard 73), Johnson, Durojaiye, Acheampong, Parkinson, Dymond, Healy, Bradbrook (Monakana 65), Goldberg (Jebb 82), Romain. Subs not used: Coyle, Jefford.