Coming into the game at Chelmsford City, Welling United were unbeaten away since the opening game of the season.

However, they failed to show their previous form on their travels and put in a very poor performance.

Things could barely have started worse for Welling. First Jamie Coyle was declared too unwell before the game started and within six minutes of the kick off, they were two down.

There looked little danger when Scott Davies received a pass in midfield but the Welling midfield must have thought that way as well and sat back to watch him fire into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Four minutes later, Luke Daley was allowed the freedom of the Welling penalty area to make it two.

Jack Jebb had a free kick well saved by Sam Beasant and the goalkeeper also saved from Bradley Goldberg but those were rare promising moments from Welling.

Chris Dickson thought that he had increased Chelmsford's lead when meeting Daley's cross but Ryan Sandford made a brilliant save to keep Welling in the game.

Those hopes were short lived, however, and Kudus Oyenuga eased his way through s serious of half hearted challenges before giving Sandford no chance with a shot into the bottom corner.

Anthony Church missed a golden opportunity to make it four but completely missed his kick in front of goal.

Matthew Johnson was next to try his luck but Sandford was not too concerned and made a comfortable save before Dickson eased his way through before shooting over.

At the break, Welling changed formation and personnel with Jeffrey Monakana replacing Harry Phipps however it made little difference as Chelmsford continued to make chances.

Church headed over when he might he done better then Michael Spillane might have done better but shot wide after a fine knock down by Oyenuga.

Oyenuga then had a good shot saved before Ben Jefford fired well oner for Welling from a long way out.

Eventually, the Clarets worked their way through the Welling defence for their fourth goal. Dickson played in to Johnson and his return pass was perfectly weighted for the former Erith and Belevedere man to slot in at the far post.

He soon had another chance when found by Davies, but this time Sandford thwarted him with a brilliant save.

Goldberg claimed a consolation goal when taken out by Spillane in the penalty area. He picked himself up and took the kick himself giving Beasant no chance from the spot. Having been cautioned for disputing the award, Beasant was very lucky not to be sent off when refusing to let go of the ball after the conversion.

It mattered little as although Goldberg had another shot saved and Monakana shot over from Christian Nanetti's pass, Welling were well beaten and will need to pick themselves up quickly for the upcoming double against league leaders Dartford.

Welling United: Sandford, Gayle, Jefford, Phipps (Monakana 46), Dymond (Nanetti 63), Parkinson, Driver, Jebb, Romain (Johnson 85), Goldberg, Durojaiye. Sub not used: Francis.