Cray Wanderers moved into 2nd place in the Isthmian South for the first time this season after a deserved victory at Whyteleafe.  The win also stretched Cray’s unbeaten league run to 15 games after a goal in each half.  Michael Freiter struck home a great free kick on the stroke of half time to break the deadlock and Michael Power sealed the win eleven minutes from time with his 24th goal of the season.   

The Wands dominated the first half and Brandon Scott’s fine run from midfield to the edge of the area ended with a shot on target which was pushed behind by Kyle Merson in the Whyteleafe goal. 

Cray came closest yet when from a Freiter right wing corner to the far post, Jay Leader’s header was pushed out by Merson and then blocked Lea Dawson’s effort.  Following up Dawson turned three defenders to shoot at the near post but Merson did well to push the ball out and came out to Scott who shot over.    

Whyteleafe came close when from a corner Josh Adusei headed wide but chances for the home side were few and far between.

It looked like a goalless first half but two minutes into injury time, Cray went ahead when Freiter for the second time in successive games curled home a superb free kick 25 yards out on the left which Merson got to but couldn’t keep the ball out and hit the back of the net. 

Whyteleafe upped their game in the second half and penned Cray back for the first quarter of an hour.  Lanre Azeez made a strong run forward to the edge of the area and fired just over the bar.  Then Azeez set up Scott Day whose angled drive was well saved by Nick Blue in the Cray goal.

Cray though wrested back the initiative and Aaron Rhule hit a shot on the turn which Merson got down well to save.

The second goal arrived eleven minutes from time when Jerome Federico down the left cut inside and swept the ball out to Scott down the right.  Scott charged into the box, took on Cormac Hegarty and rode a challenge to play the ball across to Dawson who from eight yards drove a shot towards goal which Power who was kept onside turned the ball in from four yards out.

This really ended the game as a contest as the rain teemed down in the later stages and Cray made it three wins in a week which maybe lacked the drama of Wednesday night’s come from behind victory against Sittingbourne but was as important nonetheless.

Cray are next in action on Wednesday night in the Kent Senior Cup Quarter Final at home to Charlton Athletic, 7.45pm kick off at Hayes Lane.   

Cray Wanderers: Nick Blue, Ben Mundele, Barney Williams, Jay Leader, Mitchell Nelson, Lea Dawson, Dean Carpenter, Michael Freiter (Zak Henry, 82), Michael Power, Aaron Rhule (Jerome Federico, 74), Brandon Scott (Ralique Lawrence, 90):  Subs:  Freddie Parker, Marcus Evans

Att:  143