Cray Wanderers continued their unbeaten run with a crushing victory at East Grinstead Town to move back up to fourth in the Isthmian League South.  Cray had lost their previous three meetings with East Grinstead but after taking an early lead completely overwhelmed the Sussex side and six different scorers helped the Wands to go 15 matches unbeaten in league and cups.

On a soggy and damp afternoon, Cray began well and played the ball around with great assurance and confidence.   The Wands took the lead in the 12th minute when Aaron Rhule made a run with the ball from half way and raced down the left into the area and squared the ball across and former Cray defender Steve Springett under pressure from Michael Frieter could only turn the ball into his own net.

Cray were now in command and Jay Leader headed wide following a corner and the Wands should have two nil up when Brandon Scott’s run down the right and into the area unselfishly played the ball across to Rhule who hit the crossbar from six yards.

That was a temporary reprieve for the home side as in the 27th minute it was 2-0 when Mitchell Nelson found Ben Mundele out on the right who beat a couple of players to cut inside and from just outside the area in a central position placed the ball with great precision past the despairing dive of Dan Smith.

In the 36th minute it was 3-0 when from a free kick out on the left, Frieter’s excellent ball into the area was met by the head of Mitchell Nelson and Smith couldn’t prevent his header from hitting the back of the net.

Cray continued to look sharp in a very wet second half and four minutes into the half, scored a well worked fourth goal.  Leader found Rhule out on the left who in turn found Frieter who laid the ball across and Power let the ball run to Scott who crashed home a fine shot from fifteen yards.

The Wands could also afford to miss a penalty in the 68th minute when Rhule was brought down in the area by Karn Miller-Neave but Frieter’s spot kick was well saved by Smith.

Cray scored their fifth goal eleven minutes from time when substitute Ralique Lawrence cut inside from the left, across the penalty area and fired in a shot which maybe took a slight deflection which deceived the keeper and into the net.

The Wands scored a sixth goal in the 83rd minute when Barney Williams cross from the left found Frieter inside the area who controlled the ball well and fired home a goal his performance deserved.

The game was long won but there was still time for a seventh goal in the last minute when Mundele was brought crashing in the penalty area by Jordy Mongoy and Freddie Parker confidently placed the penalty into the net to cap a remarkable afternoon for Tony Russell’s buoyant side.    

They are next in action on Wednesday night in a FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round replay against Moneyfields at Hayes Lane with the prize a trip to Braintree Town in the next round.  

Cray Wanderers: Nick Blue, Ben Mundele, Barney Williams, Jay Leader, Mitchell Nelson, Lea Dawson (Capt,), Zak Henry, Michael Frieter, Michael Power (Freddie Parker, 66), Aaron Rhule (Jerome Federico, 76), Brandon Scott (Ralique Lawrence, 67):  Subs: Marcus Evans, Dean Carpenter

Att: 81