Dillon Barnes final game of his loan spell was marked by a fine performance in a good Welling United victory at St Albans City.

Both he and Saints' custodian Dean Snedker were in fine form in a game that could have seen more goals.

Neither side took the initiative early on as both teams looked as though they wanted to use pace on the break

Christian Nanetti had the first chance of the game but fired over when collecting a half cleared corner.

Shaun Lucien then had a similar opportunity at the other end but his drive was always heading wide and didn't bother Barnes.

Bradley Goldberg had a shot well saved by Snedker but St. Albans came desperately close in the next attack when Layne Eadie lost his tracker but his shot came back off the post.

Jack Jebb fired over after an initial attack was half cleared then Joe Healy found Goldberg whose shot was deflected past the post.

Ian Gayle headed wide from Jebb's delivery before Solomon Sambou had a couple of efforts for St Albans.

His first shot bobbled nastily but Barnes got behind it and saved at the second attempt. His second, from distance, went well wide.

Charlie Walker created an opportunity for himself but Barnes saved well then Jeffrey Monakana came close at the other end but David Noble blocked it wide.

Once again, Jebb picked out Gayle but his header hit a defender and came out.

However, with one minute left of the first half, Welling went ahead. Goldberg found Healy in the inside right position and he cut in before curling home with his left foot.

Immediately after the break, the Wings came close again. Connor Dymond sent Monakana away, He drove across the face of goal but Goldberg was unable to get on the end of it. It reached Nanetti but the angle was too tight for him to finish.

Goldberg had a shot blocked after Healy had turned the defence inside out and then shot wide before being replaced by Eli Phipps.

On 66 minutes Welling scored a vital second. Healy sent Jebb away and he finished gleefully before running to celebrate with the supporters.

Kieran Monlouis fired wide for the hosts before Phipps had a chance saved well by the feet of Snedker.

Zane Banton's pull back found St Albans substitute Nathaniel Pinney but Barnes made a great save from point blank range.

Archie Johnson thought that he had marked his first league start of the season with an assist when finding Phipps but his touch was save brilliantly by Snedker.

Former Wing Rhys Murrell-Williamson saw his effort saved brilliantly then Sam Merson's flying volley went over after Welling had half cleared the corner.

Another Welling substitute, Jack Richards tried his luck but Snedker foiled him with a diving save then Banton tried his luck from well out but shot over.

Snedker then got himself out of a difficult situation when retreating to tip over Monakana's 35 yarder having been caught out of position.

Tom Bender had a header saved and Murrell-Williamson was off target as St Albans tried to get back into the game in the latter stages.

They did manage to pull one back in injury time when Pinney headed home from Merson's cross but it was too little too late.

Welling United: Barnes, Dymond, Johnson, Durojaiye, Coyle, Gayle, Monakana, Healy (Richards 76), Jebb (Bradbrook 83), Goldberg (Phipps 61), Nanetti. Subs not used: Francis, Joseph-Dubois.