Any hopes that Welling United had about continuing their unbeaten run were ended when conceding either side of half time.

They started in a manner that suggested that they were going to build on it and they came close to scoring in the opening minutes. Jeffrey Monakana combined well with Joe Healy before his inviting cross was just out of Tom Bradbrook's reach.

However, they then lost their way as Wealdstone took a grip of the midfield. Daniel Green made a mess of a shooting opportunity for them before Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick's shot flew into the park.

Green then crossed for Abobaker Eisa who maybe should have done better when heading wide.

Jack Jebb swung in a free kick that Ian Gayle headed wide before Green fired another shot for Wealdstone that was deflected wide.

Eisa again headed wide from Edward Oshodi's cross when well placed before the Stones went ahead seven minutes before half time. Green crossed deep from the right and Ryan Sellers lost his marker to finish from a tight angle at the far post.

At the break, Welling made a change bringing on Bradley Goldberg for Jebb but they went further behind before it had a chance to make a difference. Although the challenge looked clean, and there was no appeal from any Wealdstone player, Jack Parkinson was deemed to have pushed Eisa in the penalty area and the referee pointed to the spot. Green stepped up and slammed the kick straight down the middle.

Goldberg came close with a header wide from a Monakana corner before his delightful through pass sent Bradbrook away. His shot beat Jonathan North but also the far post.

If Welling's task was hard it became tougher when Ben Jefford was dismissed for a tackle by the corner flag that did not look malicious.

North then made a good low save when Bradbrook met Monakana's cross with a good header before Welling halved the deficit.

Monakana delivered a corner that Parkinson met at the far post with a header that flew into the top corner. They then made an immediate change when Christian Nanetti replaced Jack Richards.

Jamie Coyle had a shot on the turn saved by North before the Stones' keeper made a more difficult one from Goldberg.

Striker Eli Phipps replaced defender Ian Gayle as Welling took risks to try and get a leveller and Stephane Ngamvoulou made the most of the extra space but shot wide when well placed.

Another shocking refereeing decision went against Welling when Nanetti was fouled in the penalty area but nothing was given.

On the break, Eisa had a shot beaten out by the foot of Dillon Barnes and Wealdstone had one last chance deep into injury time when Daniel Fitchett's chance came back off the post.

Welling United: Barnes, Gayle (Phipps 83), Jefford, Durojaiye, Coyle, Parkinson, Monakana, Healy, Bradbrook, Jebb (Goldberg 46), Richards (Nanetti 66). Subs not used: Johnson, Francis.