Victory at Weston-super-Mare moved Welling United into seventh place in the league just four points from the top.

Two first half goals were sufficient for Welling to see off their hosts with another professional performance.

They might have gone ahead early on when Jack Parkinson headed back across the face of goal but his effort was nodded away from under the far post.

Tristan Plummer then tried his luck but his deflected effort looped up for Kleton Perntreou to claim.

Dayle Grubb cut in but fired over before Welling went ahead. Connor Dymond won a tackle in midfield and sent Eli Phipps away and his shot flew past Luke Parnell into the back of the net.

Jacob Cane, having already been cautioned, made another nasty challenge but escaped with a final warning.

Grubb had another shot that was deflected wide and Danny Greenslade was off target before Welling doubled their lead. Jeffrey Monakana worked his way down the wing before his perfect cross invited Joe Healy to head home at the far post.

Jake Reid almost made a quick response but was left thumping the ground when his header came back out off the post.

Gethyn Hill tried his luck but Perntreou saved before Plummer's shot was taken comfortably by the Welling keeper.

After the break, Grubb again set himself up for a shot but Connor Dymond sniffed out the danger with a good block.

It was then Welling's turn to cause problems. Phipps pressurised a defender into a poor headed back pass and Healy intercepted but Purnell was out quickly to block away.

Healy then had another effort that was saved brilliantly by Purnell before heading wide from Christie Pattisson's cross with Purnell stranded.

Once more Purnell was called into action when making another fantastic save from a Monakana effort.

Scrappy football then followed before Grubb again cut in but fired wide from the edge of the area before Welling created another chance after conceding a corner. The delivery was too deep and Healy brought it down skilfully before sending substitute Bradley Goldberg away down the left wing. He held it up before finding Phipps who fired just over with Purnell beaten.

Hill tried his luck for Weston but Parkinson through himself into the path of it to half lock it and Perntreou made an easy save.

Although Weston won several corners in the closing minutes, they did not trouble Perntreou and Welling claimed a well merited three points.

Welling United: Barnes, Dymond, Jefford, Durojaiye, Gayle (Francis 83), Parkinson, Monakana, Healy, Phipps (Sinclair 90), Jebb, Pattisson (Goldberg 72). Subs not used: Milton, Johnson.