Nine man Welling United held out to claim a deserved first league away game victory since Boxing Day.

Once they had got over a first minute scare, Welling enjoyed much the better of the first half but they had to dig in the hold in in the latter stages when they had two sent off.

Hosts Havant and Waterlooville could, maybe should, have gone ahead in the first minute. Bradley Tarbuck sent Wes Fogden away and he drew Dillon Barnes out before sliding it beyond the far post.

That was as good as it got for the Hawks in long spells of the first period as Welling created the better openings.

Eli Phipps was first to have an effort for Welling, but after his clever spin to give himself room he didn't connect cleanly and his effort drifted wide.

Jack Jebb then put in a great free kick but the unmarked Phipps failed to get a clean connection with his head and it went wide.

Next it was Jeffrey Monakana's turn. He cut in well to make a shooting chance from 20 yards but fired over when he might have tested goalkeeper Ryan Young. Then Phipps knocked back Monakana's cross but Young made a great save from Christian Nanetti's effort.

It came as no surprise when Welling went ahead. Jordan Rose conceded a free kick for a wild challenge on Olumide Durojaiye and Jebb curled the free kick beyond Young and into the top corner.

When Havant equalised nine minutes later, it came as a bit of a surprise. Theo Lewis squared and Fogden finished comfortably.

One minute later, Welling regained the lead when Monakana raced away and squared for Jebb to fire home to give the Wings a half time lead.

After the break, Havant looked to raise their tempo and Welling were happy to sit back, soak up the pressure and hit the hosts on the break.

Bradley Tarbuck broke away but shot wide from twenty yards but Welling's game plan seemed to be working when they increased their lead twenty minutes into the half. This time Nanetti had the assist when his cross ball was perfect for Joe Healy to fire home.

Substitute Matt Tubbs brought a great save out of Dillon Barnes and Fogden could only fire the rebound into the side netting as Jack Parkinson rushed across to reduce the target.

Tubbs then charged down a Barnes punt out but it went wide of post then Brian Stock chanced his arm from long range but it flew over and out of the ground.

Lewis headed over from Fogden's cross before the game went barmy in the closing stages. Jamie Coyle brought down Jason Prior in the penalty area and in the fracas that followed, Barnes was sent off. Coyle was also dismissed when shown a second yellow card and Havant's Alfie Rutherford was cautioned.

Connor Dymond took the goalkeeper's jersey and went the right way to pull off a save from Prior's penalty.

Nanetti then missed a chance to put the game to bed when firing wide from Monakana's pass before Havant pulled one back in injury time when Prior bundled home Rose's pass.

Despite being down to nine, Welling still managed to make a two on one break but Nanetti again failed to finish Monakana's pass when shooting wide of the near post.

There was one last chance for Havant but Tubbs fired over and Welling hung on for a well deserved three points.

Welling United: Barnes, Dymond, Jefford, Durojaiye, Coyle, Parkinson, Monakana (Bojaj 90), Healy (Pattisson 84), Phipps E (Francis 90), Jebb, Nanetti. Subs not used: Johnson, Milton.