Two teams battling against relegation, but at the opposite ends of the current form league, met at Hartsdown Park.

There was to be no upset as fast improving Welling United won 3-0 at Margate to keep them above the relegation zone.

Adam Coombes had a long shot blocked early on but it was a quiet first quarter of an hour.

After fifteen minutes, Margate had their first opportunity when Harry Phipps sent Daniel Akindayini away but Jordan Brown recovered to make a great block and Chris Lewington tidied up.

Christian Nanetti's teasing cross was cleared before Welling came close. Harry Crawford did superbly to create an opening but Coombes could not get a clean connection and Lewis Taylor was able to hack away.

Matt Fish then sent in a low cross that Valery Pajetat beat out bravely at the feet of Crawford.

Twice, Margate caused problems with long balls over the top. Fist Akindayini made space to turn in the box but his shot that looked bound for the bottom corner was touched just wide by Lewington.

Then Charles Banya got away and crossed for Alex Henshall but Sam Hatton did well to block as the Margate player looked to mark his debut with a goal.

Hatton tried his luck with a long shot at the other end but was off target then Danny Waldren had two shouts for a penalty turned down as he appeared to be barged off the ball as crosses came in.

Pajetat made a comfortable save as Hatton failed to get the lift that he wanted with a free kick from 25 yards out.

However, there was little he could do to stop Welling from taking the lead on 35 minutes. Nanetti fooled Tommy Cooney into making a rash tackle in the box and concede a penalty. Coombes stepped up and sent Pajetat the wrong way.

It could have been two when Nanetti's cross just evaded a flying Coombes and then George Oakley when a touch was all that was needed.

Following the break, Welling assumed complete control and Oakley was first to have a shot saved.

Danny Waldren was next to be thwarted by the busy Margate goalkeeper who kept his near post header out from Hatton's corner.

Welling made a hash of keeping possession from their next corner, and Alex Henshall, on debut, raced away down the right wing before pulling back to Nathan Fox but the substitute blasted over from 20 yards.

Another good chance came Welling's way but Nanetti sliced over from Coombes' cross.

Fox went well wide with a long shot before Welling scored the crucial second. Hatton caught the Margate defence asleep and Nanetti cut across the edge of the area before firing in a shot that found the net via a slight deflection from Lewis Taylor.

Matt Fish crossed to Oakley at the far post but his header failed to hit the target.

Chances continued to come Welling's way and Pajetat made a regulation save from Fish before making a splendid full length save from Crawford after more Nanetti trickery had created the opening.

Dan Walker, returning from injury, replaced the outstanding Nanetti and was in action immediately crossing for Coombes. He struck his effort perfectly and started to turn away thinking he had scored only for Pajetat to make a miraculous save.

Crawford had another shot blocked before Welling scored the third goal that their second half performance deserved. Brett Johnson was slow in clearing and Coombes tackled him before advancing and giving Pajetat no chance.

Unfortunately for Welling, they did not come home unscathed as Chris Lewington pulled up with what appeared to be a return of the thigh problem which saw him sidelined earlier in the season, and Waldren took the goalkeeper's jersey for the last few moments of injury time.

Welling United: Lewington, Fish, Brown, Hatton (Joseph-Dubois 90), Hayles, Francis, Nanetti (Walker 75), Waldren, Crawford (Fuseini 90), Coombes, Oakley. Subs not used: Johnson, Williams.