Realising that only a win and results going in their favour elsewhere would give them a distant hope of survival, Welling fielded an attacking line up.

Unfortunately, another meek performance meant they surrendered their National League status with barely a whimper.

Once again, Welling manager Dean Frost made changes, one enforced. Barney Williams' injury incurred a week earlier meant that Joey Taylor resumed at left back. Ibrahim Kargbo returned from illness and Michael Bakare from suspension to strengthen the team.

Ryan Lloyd missed an early chance when firing over under pressure from an Ian Gayle challenge that left both limping.

In their next attack, James Alabi was brought down just inside the area by Michael Chambers. After awaiting the Wings' centre half to be shown a yellow card, John Rooney stepped up to take the spot kick but Marek Rodak read his intentions correctly made a good save.

After 17 minutes, Rooney made up for his indiscretion by putting Chester ahead. Kane Richards worked himself an opportunity to cross and a weak clearance came out to him in a perfect position for him to place in the far corner from twenty yards.

Tony Thompson, in the Chester goal, then had to make a smart save from a horrible miss-kick from this own defender Ryan Higgins.

Things did not improve for Welling when Reece Harris chased an over-hit Chambers through ball and strained a hamstring that finished his afternoon. George Porter replaced him with just 25 minutes on the clock.

Tom Shaw appeared to throw a punch at Nortei Nortey off the ball but the clash that followed earned them both yellow cards.

Alabi then tested Rodak with a right footed curler but Wings' keeper was equal to it.

Richards again caused havoc in the Welling defence and it eventually came out to Rooney who should have done better than curling over from twenty yards.

Late first half attacking brought Welling no luck and they went in at the break without having registered a single shot.

Immediately after the break, the hosts gave themselves some breathing space with a crucial second goal. Alabi went on a powerful run down the wing before picking out Rooney with the freedom of the area and he finished clinically.

Looking to complete a hat-trick he fired over when he might have looked for an alternative.

Seventeen second half minutes had passed before Welling finally registered a shot. Bakare was pushed over on the edge of the area but Kadell Daniel's free kick was straight at Thompson.

Any hope that Welling might have had for a comeback ended when Richards chased a long Rooney punt and got clear before finishing clinically.

Another long range Rooney effort flew over as Welling looked increasingly dispirited.

More weak refereeing from an official out of his depth followed when Welling substitute Sahr Kabba slid in on Thompson. The tackle warranted a yellow card however Thompson hurling the ball as hard as he could into Kabba's head should have seen him dismissed. After a long talk, neither received further sanction.

Shaw added a fourth goal with six minutes remaining as Welling failed to clear a corner.

Substitute Craig Mahon had a shot saved by Rodak in stoppage time.

When the final whistle sounded Welling were left to mull over their heaviest defeat of the season on the day their relegation was confirmed.

Welling United: Rodak, Gayle, Taylor, Kargbo, Chambers (Wanadio 69), Lokko, Nortey, Corne, Bakare (Kabba 69), Daniel, Harris (Porter 25). Unused substitutes: McEntegart, Lee.