Former Welling United strike, Kurtis Guthrie, struck with eight minutes remaining to save a point for Forest Green Rovers.

Both clubs came into the game off the back of weekend F. A. Cup success.

Tom King was restored to the Welling starting line up, Harry Lee returned from sitting on the bench at Leyton Orient, and Michael Bakare was given a start having impressed in his limited opportunities.

Visitors Forest Green showed their pedigree when starting strongly and had the first opportunity when seizing on a loose ball and working it through to Darren Carter. The Greens' captain looked up and fired in a powerful effort but King was equal to it and tipped over.

Although the corner was cleared, centre back Charlie Clough stayed up and when it came back to him, he screwed his effort wide.

Keanu Marsh-Brown curled an effort wide before Welling started to come into the game.

Lee kept busy and was brought down as he surged through. Xavier Vidal's free kick over the wall tested Johnny Maxted, but he was equal to the task and palmed it around the post.

After Welling half defended a corner, it came out to Sam Wedgbury who fired wide from distance.

He then repeated the trick, only this time firing over from even further out.

Neither side made changes at the break and George Porter went for an early audacious effort but his effort from wide right sailed beyond the far post.

An injury to Lee needed prolonged treatment and while he was off the field Carter smashed a free kick into the Welling defensive wall.

Sam Parkin made a crude challenge that, incredibly, was deemed worthy of no more than a ticking off.

Eighteen minutes into the second half the deadlock was broken. Lee claimed possession and burst through. Bakare made an intelligent run, took the pass, came inside and fired low into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Showing why they are amongst the favourites for the title, Forest Green came back strongly and King made a stunning close range save from a powerful Parkin header.

Frear twisted and turned his way into the area but his final shot let him down.

Carter then made the most of a Welling midfield mix up but his low shot from twenty yards was well smothered by a diving King.

Eventually, the pressure told and the visitors levelled. Frear put over a superb angled cross and Kurtis Guthrie rose at the far post to head home.

A frantic finale finished with a Vidal free kick flying wide as the two teams had to accept a point apiece.

Welling United: King, Williams, Jefford, Lee, Chambers, Lokko, Vidal, Bakare (Osborne 83), Porter (Adeyinka 64), Wellard, Harris (Kabba 83). Unused substitutes: McEntegart, Taylor.