Much changed Welling United visited Barwell knowing they had to be at the top of their game to avoid following an F.A. Cup upset.

As expected, the hosts gave Welling some problems and probably enjoyed a greater share of possession, but the visitors had the superior quality in the final third of the pitch at each end.

Sam Corne, Ben Jefford and Xavier Vidal returned to the Welling United team having been rested the previous week, Michael Chambers and George Porter also came back following injuries.

Michael McEntegart was called into action early on when saving from an Iyseden Christie header as he met Alex Tomkinson's corner.

After a cagey twenty minutes, Welling had a great opportunity. Porter broke through and fired a low shot that Liam Castle did well to beat out. Reece Harris followed up but his shot was blocked bravely by Liam Kay.

Ant Carney then met Eddie Nisevic's near post delivery first time from close range but went narrowly wide.

Good Barwell football worked it out to Tomkinson in space, but instead of shooting first time, he chose to cut back inside and the chance was gone.

Corne then fired over for Welling from 25 yards as the visitors looked to impose themselves.

33 minutes had passed when the deadlock was broken. Xavier Vidal sent Porter away whose initial shot hit the inside of the post. However, he was alert enough to collect the rebound and square for Ricky Wellard to finish at close range.

It could have been worse for Barwell when Tomkinson made a hash of a free kick and Welling broke away. Harris outpaced the defence and created a two on one and when he crossed Declan Towers flattened Porter. Astonishingly, neither the referee or linesman called the clear cut penalty.

Immediately after the break, Barwell came close but Corne made a great block when a corner was only half cleared.

Having done it once, Corne repeated the trick from a Tomkinson shot who had been left in space on the left hand side.

Richard Lavery was booked for a bad foul on Corne, and when Vidal's free kick was only half cleared, Joey Taylor arrowed a low shot wide.

Kay gave Welling a let off when firing over from close range after Callum Woodward's teasing free kick was only half cleared.

Towers became the second Canary cautioned for a horrible tackle on Porter in midfield.

Harris then had a glorious chance for Welling when sent clear by Wellard but his attempt to chip Castle went straight into the goalkeeper's arms.

At the other end, Kevin Lokko made a superb tackle as substitute Jamie Towers burst through before Corne received his fifth caution of the season for a foul.

Having nothing to lose, the hosts threw everything at the Welling defence in the last ten minutes, but Welling guaranteed their path into the second round when Michael Bakare was sent through by Wellard in the 95th minute. Although Castle saved the first attempt, the Wings substitute was on hand to bundle home the rebound.

Manager Loui Fazakerley was delighted to get through at the first time of asking and he and his management will now concentrate on their forthcoming Vanarama National fixtures.

Welling United: McEntegart, Williams, Jefford, Taylor, Chambers, Lokko, Vidal (Bakare 72), Corne, Porter, Wellard, Harris. Unused substitutes: Gagliardi, Osborne, Cumberbatch, Adeyinka, Kabba, Obafemi.