Matt Godden’s hat-trick helped put Ebbsfleet United’s recent home troubles behind them as they recorded a 3-0 victory over Farnborough.

Having not won in four Stonebridge Road games, the pressure was on the Fleet to put the struggling visitors to the sword, which they did thanks to Godden’s first league goals of the season.

After last weekend’s stalemate against Bath City, manager Steve Brown made two changes to his side, with Shane Huke replacing the injured Aiden Palmer in defence, and recent signing Brendan Kiernan making his first start on the right in place of Matt Johnson.

Farnborough manager Spencer Day is well known for his revolving door player recruitment policy and handed debuts to two loan signings, including Leyton Orient keeper Charlie Granger.

The game got off to an open start with both teams testing either keeper with long range shots, as Brandon Hall was forced to save Phil Page’s low effort and Daryl McMahon had an effort held by Granger.

As the half began to take shape, Fleet began to step up their play and Charlie Sheringham had a header fly over the bar after good work from Anthony Cook.

The best chance of the half came on 19 minutes when McMahon curled a brilliant free-kick in from the right which crashed against the underside of the bar and bounced clear.

Cook then went on a winding run and played Godden through on goal, but the striker perhaps should have done better as he fired over from 12 yards.

At the other end of the pitch, Dan Bennett hit the woodwork from eight yards out, although the linesman ruled the Boro player was in an offside position.

While Fleet may have ended the half frustrated that they did not get the goal that their play deserved, they did not have to wait too long after half-time to change that.

Hall produced a superb low stop to turn away Harry Grant’s long range strike and the ball was cleared downfield to Kiernan, who sped down the right to cross into the box, where Godden was on hand to create some space for himself and finish from eight yards.

Cook could have doubled the lead minutes later when he showed superb skill to flick the ball over two defenders and play himself through on goal, but he then fired over from close range.

Kenny Clark had a header cleared off the line and Cook’s follow up volley deflected wide as the Fleet tried to make the most of their domination.

But they still had to remain alert in defence, with Hall doing well to turn behind Bennett’s dipping shot.

With time wearing on, it looked like Ebbsfleet would have a nervous finish to the game, but Godden made it 2-0 on 85 minutes as he ran onto substitute Chris Sessegnon’s well-placed through ball and finished past Granger.

Godden then completed his hat-trick in stoppage time as Joe Howe found space down the left and swung in a low cross that was converted by the striker from close range.

Victory moves Fleet up to second in the table, four points behind leaders Boreham Wood.

This weekend sees Brown’s side travel to Eastbourne Borough (3pm).

Ebbsfleet: Hall, Huke, Clark, Acheampong, Howe, Kiernan (Sessegnon 81), Rance, McMahon, Cook, Godden, Sheringham. Subs not used: Edwards, Mazzone, Bricknell, Johnson. Att: 849.