Bristol Rovers have promised they will ban for life any supporter who shouted racial abuse at Dartford keeper Jason Brown during last night’s game between the two sides.

Brown took to Twitter after the final whistle to blast the home fan who he claimed had hurled racist insults at him from the stands.



Bristol Rovers have today vowed to take a hardline stance on anyone found to be involved in the incident.

A statement released by the club said:

During our game against Dartford last night, visiting goalkeeper Jason Brown was racially abused by one or more of our supporters who were stood on the terrace behind his goal.

Bristol Rovers are conducting a full investigation into the incident and co-operating fully with the police with the sole aim of identifying and apprehending the perpetrator(s) of the abuse.

Any supporters found to have been involved in the incident will be prosecuted and banned from this football club for life.

Our safety officer spoke to Jason Brown, and referee Adam Hopkins, at the end of the game.

Bristol Rovers operates a zero tolerance approach to abusive behaviour and, after all of our efforts to eliminate racial abuse from the Memorial Stadium, we are devastated at last night’s incident.

A small minority of so called supporters are bringing our club into disrepute and we run the risk of attracting a punishment from the Football Association should we continue to experience problems such as this.

Just one week after the Eastleigh Chairman praised the behaviour of our supporters, we are now investigating a very serious matter that happened in our own stadium and it is imperative that those responsible for last night’s incident are caught and punished.

Anyone who can assist with our enquiries should, in the first instance, contact John Harper on 07790 277985.

The club has written to Dartford FC, Jason Brown and the Football Association apologising for the incident but will not be making any further comment until investigations have been completed.

Bristol Rovers won the game 1-0 thanks to Matty Taylor's 37th minute penalty, ending Dartford's three-game unbeaten run.

The Darts are at home this Saturday against Macclesfield (3pm).