Both teams will feel disappointed at coming away with just a point after a game in which each dominated a half.

Although Welling were very good value for their half time lead, Gateshead dominated the second period and but for wayward finishing and determined Wings defending, they could have claimed all three points.

Injury to Tobi Sho-Silva, sustained in Welling’s last game, ruled him out and Jon Nouble replaced him following his one match suspension. Sam Corne was preferred to Zach Fagan as the only other change.

There could barely have been a better start for Welling. Just five minutes had passed when Ben Jefford played in a great pass for Harry Beautyman to make space for himself before giving Adam Bartlett no chance with a crisp low finish.

Malachi Hudson then found Chris Bush who made room with clever footwork before his low shot drew a save out of Bartlett

Andrai Jones went on a long run before Welling again came close with Hudson’s shot from Beautyman’s pass curling just over.

Nouble met a Beautyman corner with a powerful header that was beaten out by Bartlett as Welling searched for the all important second goal.

Captain Ben Clark met a corner with a first time shot that flew wide of Welling’s near post before Corne sent Jake Gallagher away but the Wings’ skipper’s shot was blocked away for another corner.

Gary Mills made a change at the break bringing on Cark Finnigan for Jamie Chandler.

Alex Rodman crossed for Danny Wright but his header was saved comfortably by Jonathan Henly.

Five minutes into the second half, the Heed equalised and Mills’ change had an almost immediate impact. James Brown slung in a deep cross and Finnigan headed home at the far post.

Wright had a shot blocked by Jefford and Rodman curled an effort wide of the far post as Gateshead’s passing game stretched Welling.

Hudson did well on the break and waited for help from Barney Williams but his low cross was well blocked out as Tyrone Marsh closed in.

Brown had a goal-bound effort blocked then Rodman shot wide of the near post.

Bush and Jamal Fyfield worked hard and most of Gateshead’s efforts came from outside the area, one of which was a long range effort from John Oster that swung away from the angle of bar and post.

Two Welling substitutes combined to give the Wings’ defence some respite. Joe Healy sent Loui Fazakerley away and it took a vital block from Clark to stop it from reaching Marsh in front of goal.

As time ran down, Oster’s shot took a massive deflection of Bush that went just wide with Henly a spectator, and from the corner, James Curtis rose high but headed wide.     

Welling United: Henly, Williams, Jefford, Gallagher, Bush, Fyfield, Beautyman, Corne (Baselle 75), Nouble (Healy 57), Marsh. Hudson (Fazakerley 68). Unused substitutes: Turner, Fagan.