Jon Nolan’s 80th-minute goal gave Shrewsbury a crucial 1-0 win over Charlton in the first leg of their play-off semi-final.

The Addicks wasted early chances as the Shrews controlled the second-half.

Australian businessman Donald Muir was in attendance as a Charlton takeover edges closer.

Lee Bowyer made four changes to the side that lost to Rochdale on the final day of the regular season with Stephy Mavididi, Ben Reeves, Nicky Ajose and Josh Magennis coming in. There was no place on the bench for Crystal Palace loanee Sullay Kaikai.

Charlton could have been two goals ahead in the opening six minutes. Josh Magennis and Jake Forster-Caskey saw efforts drift agonisingly wide in quick succession.

Ajose then latched on to a Magennis knock-down and went for the spectacular moments later, but his half-volley sailed over the bar.

Backed in front of one of their biggest crowds of the season, Charlton’s stars looked up for this massive game.

But Shrewsbury, who finished third in League One, threatened on 17 minutes. Breaking from a corner, Nolan carried the ball before selling Ezri Konsa with a dummy and having his goal-bound shot deflect wide.

As Charlton’s early pressure died down, the Shrews went close again. Shaun Whalley teed up Bryn Morris whose 20-yard drive was tipped away by Ben Amos.

The hosts nearly went in front three minutes before the break when Forster-Caskey’s ferocious free-kick was just missed by Jason Pearce.

Both sides cancelled each other out at the start of the second-half with Shrewsbury taming Charlton’s threat.

Patrick Bauer made a vital interception to prevent Carlton Morris from pulling the trigger on 67 minutes. Nolan directed a cross-shot wide seconds later.

Charlton offered very little going forward as the game wore on. However, Reeves’ powerful strike flew a few centimetres over the bar with 15 minutes to go.

The breakthrough came in the 80th minute when Nolan’s superb half-volley beat Amos from 20 yards.

Ajose would have brought Charlton level if his volley was an inch lower and Magennis' header was comfortably saved by Dean Henderson late on. Shrewsbury held on to draw first blood in the semi-final.

Charlton XI: Amos, Konsa, Bauer, Pearce, Dasilva, Reeves (Aribo 77), Kashi, Forster-Caskey, Mavididi (Fosu 62), Magennis, Ajose (Zyro 90).

Subs not used: Phillips, Sarr, Dijksteel, Marshall.

Attendance: 14,367 (777 Shrewsbury fans)