CHARLTON began the new season with a convincing home victory over Bournemouth.

Dale Stephens put the Addicks in front on 23 minutes before Scott Wagstaff's screamer increased the lead early in the second half.

Skipper Johnnie Jackson wrapped up the points with a 77th minute penalty to ensure Chris Powell's side made a winning start on the opening day.

It has been a summer of huge transition at The Valley, a point underlined by the fact only four players who started the final game of last season against Hartlepool were in the starting XI this afternoon.

Among that quartet was keeper Rob Elliot, whose long-term future was placed in doubt this week by the arrival of Ben Hamer from Reading.

Hamer was unavailable through injury, so it was Elliot who got the nod with John Sullivan named as a substitute.

The first chance fell Charlton's way on seven minutes and it involved two of the new boys, Michael Morrison heading over the bar from Stephens' corner.

Charlton went even closer eight minutes later when Wagstaff released Chris Solly down the right and his dangerous looking cross was headed inches over by Bradley Wright-Phillips.

Wright-Phillips fired straight at Darryl Flahavan on 19 minutes from the edge of the area after latching onto a long clearance.

But it was the hosts who finally got their noses in front midway through the first half in fine style as Wright-Phillips' delivery was dummied by Solly into the path of Stephens, who drilled a low shot from 15 yards beyond the reach of Flahavan.

Rhohys Wiggins came close to doubling the advantage against his former club with a 25 yard shot which Flahavan did well to push behind.

Danny Ings, rumoured to be a target for Chris Powell, picked up a caution for a late tackle on Stephens.

But it was Charlton who deservedly went in at the break in front after a dominant opening 45 minutes.

Bournemouth made one change at the start of the second half by throwing on Lyle Taylor for Mathieu Baudry.

Charlton doubled their lead in stunning style within six minutes of the restart when a corner was only half cleared to Stephens.

Stephens picked out Wagstaff, who smashed a volley first time past Flahavan for an early contender for goal of the season.

Ings almost got Bournemouth right back in it with a header which flew just wide, while Lyle Taylor had a penalty claim ignored after going to ground a bit too dramatically under a challenge from Elliot.

Marc Pugh had a shot saved by the Addicks keeper, with Ings unable to control the follow up before the ball was scrambled clear.

Paul Hayes saw a 62nd minute volley flash just wide as Charlton continued to look dangerous going forward.

Jackson saw a free-kick sail high over Flahavan's goal but it wasn't long before the skipper atoned by scoring Charlton's third from the spot on 77 minutes after Adam Barrett clumsily tripped Wright-Phillips in the box.

Wright-Phillips almost made it four in the 81st minute with a low drive from 35 yards which wasn't far from finding the target.

Hayes, Wagstaff and Wright-Phillips all made way in the latter stages in what was an impressive day at the office for the Addicks.

Follow us on Twitter @NewsShopperSprt

Charlton: Elliot, Solly, Morrison, Taylor, Wiggins, Wagstaff (Pritchard 86), Hollands, Stephens, Jackson, Hayes (Benson 82), Wright-Phillips (Doherty 90). Subs not used: Sullivan, Hughes.