CHARLTON came from behind to defeat Luton 3-1 at Kenilworth Road and seal a third round encounter at high-flying Tottenham Hotspur.

Zdenek Kroca gave the impressive non-leaguers the lead late in a first half dominated by Richard Money’s men.

But this FA Cup second round replay, screened live on ESPN, was turned on its head by an Addicks resurgence initiated by a quickfire equaliser from Scott Wagstaff before the interval.

And the pendulum swung the way of Phil Parkinson’s men in the second period courtesy of goals from Joe Anyinsah and Therry Racon.

The Hatters, who performed with plenty of promise at The Valley almost a fortnight ago, got off to a bright start on their home turf and both Matt Fry and Jon Fortune had to intercept early chances at the cost of corners.

Charlton remained on the backfoot and almost went behind in the 22nd minute when more good approach play from Luton culminated with Danny Crow smashing an effort off the crossbar.

With half an hour played, the visitors were gradually finding more time on the ball but remained second best with Rob Elliot having to tip a clever quick free-kick attempt from Keith Keane over.

But Town deservedly went into the lead on 38 minutes – Elliot doing well to get a hand to one effort on goal from another Luton corner, only for it to fall into the path of Kroca to convert from close range.

However, their advantage lasted all of eight minutes after the Addicks exploited an increase in the free space being left by the home side, and Simon Francis’ cross picked out an unmarked Wagstaff to head into the far corner just before the break.

Shortly after the restart, Matthew Barnes-Homer came close to rivalling Andy Drury’s stunning leveller in the Valley stalemate with a dipping effort from the right which sailed narrowly wide.

Luton continued in their efforts to remain on top of the encounter despite being pegged back, and following a series of failed headed clearances from the Addicks defence off a long throw, George Pilkington nodded towards the top corner but for Elliot’s reflex parry.

After Pawel Abbott replaced a hobbling Paul Benson on the hour mark, the Pole immediately threatened to make an impact with an insightful cross to the head of Therry Racon, who could only aim his shot straight into the arms of Mark Tyler.

Abbott unleashed an attempt of his own moments later: a rasping long-distance strike which while saved by Tyler, threatened to spill under the keeper’s arms for a moment.

And as the frustration on the previously-dominant hosts grew more and more evident, they found themselves behind halfway through the second half when Fry fired a cleared corner back into the box for Anyinsah to cleverly back heel past Tyler and into the net.

Orange-shirted heads appeared to be down at this stage, and Town’s trademark attacking play was leading to more stray passes than dangerous entries into the Charlton box.

Meanwhile, Anyinsah managed another pair of efforts at the other end, with one saved by Tyler and the other deflected for a corner.

The Addicks sealed their comeback courtesy of a Johnnie Jackson free-kick – though the goal was scored by Racon, who appeared to inadvertently nick a touch on JJ’s delivery to wrong-foot Tyler and send Charlton to White Hart Lane.

The FA Cup Third Round derby game will take place on Sunday January 9th (1:30pm).

Charlton: Elliot; Francis, Fry, Doherty, Fortune; Wagstaff, Semedo, Racon (McCormack 90), Jackson; Anyinsah (Sodje 84), Benson (Abbott 60). Subs not used: Worner, Llera, Mambo, Reid. Att: 5,914