JON Nurse’s stoppage time equaliser denied Charlton three points this afternoon.

The Addicks thought they had wrapped it up seconds earlier when Johnnie Jackson put them 2-1 in front but Nurse had other ideas and his header left most of the 14,806 crowd stunned into silence.

Manager Phil Parkinson named an unchanged starting XI from the side which drew 1-1 at Tranmere last week.

The home side were almost in front inside two minutes when Lee Martin produced a stunning shot from 20 yards which cannoned back off the bar.

Martin put Scott Wagstaff through on goal two minutes later and his drive was well saved by Daggers keeper Tony Roberts.

Simon Francis had a header cleared off the line in the sixth minute as the Addicks threatened to run riot but the inevitable break though came four minutes later.

Martin’s dangerous low cross was put behind by Daggers skipper Mark Arber and Jackson’s delivery was headed home by Miguel Llera.

Dagenham had their first effort on goal in the 15th minute when Gavin Tomlin got on the end of Peter Gain’s long punt forward before drilling a low shot straight at Ross Worner.

Jackson’s 19th minute free-kick from the left into the danger zone but it was headed just wide by Simon Francis, while Francis’ delivery six minutes later across the area just failed to connect with a Charlton team-mate.

Charlton continued to create a host of chances, with Martin the visitors’ tormentor in chief, but somehow contrived to take any of them as Dagenham somehow managed to stay in the game.

That shocking wastefulness came home to haunt the hosts on the stroke of half-time when Therry Racon was harshly adjudged to have tugged back Bas Savage inside the area and referee Jonathan Moss pointed to the spot.

The decision provoked fury from the home fans but Danny Green kept his cool under a crescendo of boos to step up and smash the penalty home.

Akpo Sodje came on for Anyinsah but Parkinson was nowhere to be seen on the bench after being sent to the stands for protesting about the controversial penalty decision.

Tomlin produced a moment of comedy six minutes after the restart when he made a complete hash of a shot which sailed miles wide of the target, much to the amusement of the home fans.

Sodje fired over moments later at the other end but there was little else to report in terms of goalmouth action at the start of the second half.

Charlton had a lucky escape on 59 minutes when Worner dropped Green’s cross but fortunately Gary Doherty was ideally placed to clear the danger.

Wagstaff had an overhead kick comfortably saved by Roberts and that was to be his last notable contribution as he was replaced by Kyel Reid in the 62nd minute.

Worner produced a stunning one-handed save to keep out Green’s header four minutes later Francis cleared a dangerous looking Savage cross before Benson saw a header saved by Roberts at the other end.

Worner again came to Charlton’s rescue with quarter of an hour remaining when he denied substitute Nurse, who was allowed to get a shot in after shaking off the attentions of Llera.

Reid tried his luck with an ambitious 80th minute drive, his last contribution as the substitute was substituted by Matt Fry seconds later.

Tomlin was kept out by Worner one minute later as Charlton’s defence began to look decidedly nervous, while Jackson had a glancing header saved at the other end by Roberts.

Llera headed over from Jackson’s 88th minute corner but Charlton thought they had won it in the 90th minute when Racon atoned for his penalty mistake by providing an inch perfect cross for Jackson to head home.

However, Nurse rescued a point in stoppage time when he met substitute Damian Scannell’s cross to head past Worner.

Charlton: Worner, Francis, Llera, Doherty, Jackson, Wagstaff (Reid 62, Fry 80), Semedo, Racon, Martin, Benson, Anyinsah (Sodje 46). Subs not used: Daniels, Stavrinou, Fry, Fortune, Tuna. Att: 14,806.